Chapter 15

Xiangge woke up with a splitting headache. His head was spinning badly. His whole body seemed wet with sweat. When his eyes slowly opened, the curtains around him were spinning and his sight was extremely blurry. His body ached. He slowly tried to gather his scattered conciousness.

As the memories of things that happened before he passed out came back to his mind, he was thunderstruck. Mingxuan was dead... And... He... He just drank Xia Mingyu, that lethal poison. Shouldn't he be already dead? Why was he still alive???

He tried to struggle out to his feet but felled back onto the sheets weakly. His chest felt extremely heavy, as if being squeezed tightly. His face was still wet with something. He passed his shuddering fingertips across his lips and looked at his hands. He was stunned.

It was ... blood. But also not ... blood. That blood was dark red but at the edging lines, it had a slight hue of silver!

Xiangge was dumbstruck for a while. He had never easily bled. But he was sure he was like other people. He was sure he was an ordinary cultivator. But why was his blood like this now? It had never happened before...

He looked at the blood in his hand with incredulous disbelief.

How many hours had it been already? What day was it? What time was it? Xiangge did not know. He felt lame. He looked at Mingxuan's body which now had no difference from a corpse. Mingxuan's entire face along with his cracked lips and skin of the body all looked ghostly white. His eyes had dark circles.

He was clearly... Dead.

Xiangge gulped. He wanted to die. But what was happening? Was it a punishment? He had numerous chances to forgive Mingxuan and get along with him. But he destroyed them himself. And now even if he wanted to follow Mingxuan, he couldn't...

Why? What was in his way this time? He looked at his blood again. Why was his blood suddenly silver? And why was he still alive when he had drunk a whole phial of that poison?

Xiangge was flabbergasted. He burried his aching head in his palms and tried to think hard. His heart was in a mess.

Why?

Why?

Why... ???

Then his face went pale when he slowly realized it. He drank the most terrifying poison that ever existed. He should be dead. But his blood turned reddish silver. And he was still alive but how? And why?

Xiangge had a terrible guess in his heart.

His blood could detoxify Xia Mingyu...

So for for fifteen months he had been blindly searching the antidote for Xia Mingyu when he was already carrying the antidote with him!

Xiangge's eyes widened and his face drew even white. He didn't die because his blood can detoxify poison?

His heart was in a turmoil. He felt as if stabbed. Only if he had known it earlier, he could have saved Mingxuan...

Tears felled down continuously, drenching his pale white and blood drenched cheeks. He could have saved Mingxuan but he was late again...

His heart was beating wildly. He felled into thought again, trying to concentrate hard, ignoring his shuddering body. If still a chance stands, he didn't want to loose it and regret it later. He suddenly remembered an old book at the forbidden basement of the Imperial Library.

He came across the book while he was blankly going through the racks. He was interested in that book only because he felt strange. The book was very old and much had already faded. It contained many magic arts that he did not understand.