Whispered Secrets

Finnick was given a reprieve for his servitude from the Capitol for two months before he was called back

"What do you mean you're doing work for the Capitol?" Adrien asked, following him from room to room as he packed the small bag he always took with him.

"I mean Snow has schmoozing he needs me to do," Finnick lied.

"Why didn't he call for me?" Adrien asked, clearly disappointed.

"Trust me, you don't want to do this."

"Because going to parties and kissing women is so horrible?" Adrien teased.

Everything about it was terrible.

"I will be back by the end of the week," Finnick promised.

"Who will I get to work out with me?"

"Use the pole in the back. It's what I used for the last four years."

Finnick shut the door in Adrien's face.

**

He hated how easily Snow could summon Finnick like he was some sort of dog that could be commanded here and there.

All of this was for them. For Adrien. For Annie. For Amara. Even for Mags, who Snow hadn't explicitly threatened, but wasn't against hurting.

He had to play by the rules or he could lose his best friends. He could lose everything.

When he walked through the doors to his apartment building, he paused when he reached the front desk. His. It was his. He and Amara were roommates now. It was their apartment.

Penny sat up straighter.

"Mr. Odair," she chirped. "We weren't expecting you for a few months."

She seemed slightly on edge as she spoke to him. Her eyes were looking all over the room like she was being watched. Finnick raised a brow.

"Didn't Amara tell you? I'm moving in. I often have to come and do some work for President Snow when the games aren't in session. We're roommates in the 'off season' as they call it."

Penny nodded tightly.

"Yes, she mentioned it. It's just... she has company upstairs right now."

"That's fine. I know almost everyone she knows." Finnick shot her a wink as he turned to leave. It looked like she wanted to protest more, but he had disappeared around the corner too quickly.

Amara having a girls night with Jade and Tigris, which she really only did when he wasn't in town, wasn't the end of the world. All it meant was that he would sneak into his room and they could see each other the next day.

When he stepped out of the elevator, however, he made eye contact with Mack, whose eyes widened at the sight of him.

"Mr. Odair," Mack greeted with a handshake. "We weren't expecting you."