Character Thirteen: Honour among thieves (Cullen)

Smell of mould and damp wood floods Cullen's mind, like unwanted memories. He could hear water splashing under his feet as he stepped. He couldn't see anything, just black, like an uncoloured night.

"Cullen, where are you!" Yelled a voice, it was Vivian

"Please Cullen, we need you to find us!" Another voice yelled, it sounded like Benji.

Cullen heard them and looked around, he couldn't see them. All was dark, there wasn't anything. The water that was floating around his feet started to rise, getting higher and higher, Cullen was forced to start swimming.

He looked down at the water and saw the reflection of his old friends in the water. Vivian and Benji stared up at him, he tried to reach down to them but he couldn't reach them. He swam down and looked around under the water. They were no longer there.

The water was getting thicker, he tried to swim back up but the top of the water had been frozen over. He banged on the ice but it wasn't going to break. The colour started to change, it wasn't colourless anymore, it was red, blood red.

"Cullen!" The voices yelled

"Please.." The voices got quieter and quieter.

Cullen wakes up in a state, he checks his hands and arms for blood and looks around trying to remember where he was. He remembers what had happened, with Benji and V, he lays back down and listens to the sound of birds flying above him. The flame of the fire was long put out. He sits up to see Yuri, she seems to be cooking some bird she caught.

"It smells great, how long have you been awake?" Cullen asked gently.

Yuri gently smiles, and pastes him a plate. Cullen looked down at the meat, he couldn't tell what bird it was but it was a bird. You could see the little bones of wings from a bird.

"I've been awake for a while, I was hungry so I went to go get some food." Yuri tells Cullen.

"You know that you talk in your sleep?" Yuri continues.

Cullen sat silently, wondering what he would've said from that dream.

"Yeah, I've slept talked and slept walked most of my life." Cullen replied.

Yuri and Cullen eat their food quietly. Once they are finished they begin to back up and clean up.

"I'm sorry, but where are we going to go? We can't go back to the city, can we?" Yuri asks.

Cullen pauses for a moment. I need to find them, he tells himself. He tells Yuri that they're going back to the city of light.

They walk through the forest, making their way back to the city.