Character Forthteen: Honour among thieves (Vivian)

Vivian and Nicholas run away laughing, the man still yelling in the background.

"Hey! Let's go to my room!" Nicholas yelled back to Vivian, who was little behind.

Vivian followed Nicholas, still giggling away to herself. That will show him! She told herself. They followed a path up toward the office, then they headed up two flats of stairs.

It was getting late, the sky had turned from blue to being filled with red, orange and purple. Nicholas opened the door with a small lock, and walked in.

"Don't mind the mess." Nicholas said

Vivian looked around at the little mess that was around, his room was very small, with a small bed and a little window on the side. Vivian walked over to the window and looked out, she looked up, up at the sunset. She never really took the time to see one before, in the trenches they're so deep, sometimes you can't even see it.

"You like the sunset girlie?" Nicholas asked Vivian

Vivian looked at Nicholas's eye then looked away, she didn't know what to say. Nicholas shrugged and continued moving things around, making space for Vivian.

"Right, so I made some space for ya" Nicholas said, tapping Vivian.

"Oh yeah, thank you, I guess" Vivian said slightly bashfully

Vivian made a makeshift bed out of blankets that Nicholas pasted to her. Nicholas dimmed a little oil lamp and sat on the bed with a book in his hand. Vivian glanced over at the book, she admired the cover of the book.

"Do you like books girlie?" Asked Nicholas

Vivian's eyes darted away from the book and Nicholas, she looked down and felt ashamed.

"What?" Nicholas in probed

"Nothing..." Vivian replied

Nicholas shrugged and continued reading, slowly flipping through pages as he did. Vivian laid down, on the floor, it wasn't much and it definitely wasn't comfy. But she laid there, head pressed against the hardwood floor, feeling every gust of wind. And as she did, she remembered the trenches, the wet mould smell that rose from the ground, and the pile of leaves that she and the others would make into little beds for them.

Vivian's eye met with the book once more as she looked around the room needing something to take her mind off the trenches. Vivian's and Nicholas's eyes met once more and Nicholas got up.

"Do you want to read, I have other books if you want?" Nicholas said, slightly frustrated.

"I can't read..." Vivian said quietly

"What?"

"I said, I can't read!" Vivian said louder this time.

Nicholas blinked and looked out the window for a moment, before making a clicking noise with his fingers and rushing over to a small bookshelf. He brushed his fingers along the books before stopping at one and pulling it out.

"Here, come here girlie!" Nicholas said excitedly.

Vivian looked at him with caution, Nicholas simply smiled and patted down on his bed. Vivian rose from her hard bed on the ground and sat on his bed.

"Grim Tales; this was my favourite book when I was a kid. If I teach you how to read, will ya give this place a chance?" Nicholas asked, smiling away happily.

"You really think you could do that?" Vivian ask kindly

"Yeah, I bet!" Nicholas replied proudly

Vivian and Nicholas laid down on his little bed, slowly reading about dragons, witches, gnomes and more. They read about happy tales and sad ones, and by the end of the night they were happily asleep, resting gently on each other's head.