Chapter 27: You of All People

Author's Note: This chapter includes forced kiss content that may be unsettling to some readers. 

Sabine

The afternoon sun cast shadows across my floor. Slowly, they crept through the room, elongating, expanding, and devouring the light. Another day swept away in the shadows.

Prince Cole hadn't summoned me in two days. He wasn't away or he would have left a note.

Since I made the comment about my collar, he hadn't contacted me at all. I went to clean his rooms and he was never there. When my work was done, I rested in my room, my body still aching in some places.

The rest was appreciated but if he no longer thought I was useful, how long would I be around?

In the cellar with Cara, a part of me thought I would die. I didn't want to die. What would happen to a slave the crowned prince no longer needed?

I heard the prince's door open and close, his heavy boot steps echoed down the adjoining hall between our rooms.

Well, if he thought I outlived my usefulness, I'd have to show him he was wrong.

I closed my book and tossed it on the bed, dusted off my skirts, and headed to his parlor. My ears tingled as muffled voices floated from the bedroom. One of them was feminine.

"You're a prince! You need better than a slave girl." The woman said, her voice rising enough for me to hear.

My heart froze in my chest. I knew I shouldn't listen but I was the topic of conversation. If the prince was going to get rid of me, I wanted advanced notice.

I held my breath and inched across the room toward his bedroom door. It was partially open and if I pressed myself against the smooth wood, I could see inside without them seeing me.

Prince Cole sat in a sage green and gold upholstered chair. His shirt was untied, revealing the sculpted shape of his muscles down to his naval.

What was I doing? I pried my eyes away, blood rushing to my cheeks.

The rest of his outfit was casual, loose-fitting. His face was expressionless but his eyes kept darting around.

A curvy woman stood in front of him. Her lips were painted red, the color of Talon's scales, and her hair pinned up with fresh flowers in it. When she leaned forward, her breasts almost fell out of her dress.

It'd been so long since I'd seen her that I barely recognized Dulcey.

"Don't you think your attentions would be better spent on someone with more... status?" She flipped the ends of her hair over her shoulder.

A crease formed between the prince's eyes. "Are you offering to be my personal attendant?"

Dulcey stamped her foot and balled her hands into shaking fists. "I know you haven't taken a new concubine."

"That's no secret," Prince Cole drawled. He rubbed his stubbly chin.

"Then why do you refuse to see me again? If there's no one new, there has to be a reason." Dulcey licked her lips slowly and dropped to her knees. She slid her hands up the prince's thighs.

I averted my eyes, my cheeks burning. What had I walked in on?

"You're not the reason," the prince shot back.

I heard Dulcey gasp and chanced a glance. She was on her feet again, rubbing her hand. "Look, I'm not saying we should pick up where we left off, but I know you."

She smiled silkily and swayed her hips as she walked behind the prince. She leaned over and put her lips near his ear and splayed her hands on his chest.