January

zombie

A new year and yet what's so new about it?

Let's make a list and scan it over, tallying each assignment like keeping track of days stranded on a desert island.

You've taken residence inside my mind and made yourself comfortable (but you were supposed to stay dead!)

My thoughts are scattered on the floor and I don't even bother picking them up, who cares?

I'll just leave them there as a collage of my sanity once was,

A memoir to my past self titled "Promising Young Woman Gone Batshit Crazy: Let's All Point and Laugh."

(Perhaps I'll leave that one anonymous, though.)

This brick and mortar mentality will be the death of me,

Slowly eating at my psyche like a festering family of maggots consuming the remains of a rotted corpse.

I saw them toss the dirt on your body, I threw a handful myself;

They rearranged your limbs and glued all your bones back together,

Lowered you six feet under and hid the key from the rest of us (but I made a spare, no one knows!)

I didn't even have to break you out, you did it on your own...

A zombie walking among the living, haunting and taunting and burning this city to the ground in search of me.

"You killed me! Did you even wash the blood off your filthy hands before claiming your next victim?"

Your grave is my secret hiding spot as I read the angry letters etched in the stone:

"Curse this wretched world and curse everyone in it, especially that bitch!"

You never were one for poetry, and I guess I can't blame you.

But it does remind me of your last words, though, and how without intent you almost seemed to make them rhyme;

"I hope to never see you again, good riddance and goodbye!"