Chapter 53

It's been a week since my showdown with Mason at the warehouse

It's been a week since my showdown with Mason at the warehouse. I stood up to him like a queen, and honestly, it felt pretty good. But ever since, Asher’s been playing along with the whole queen thing. Every morning, he'd drop into a bow when he saw me, like I was some kind of royalty. It was cute at first, but now? It was getting a bit much.

So this morning, when Asher stepped into the kitchen and did his dramatic bow, I couldn't help but giggle. "Okay, stop," I said, waving him back up. He looked at me with that playful smirk, clearly enjoying the routine.

"Why?" he asked, lifting an eyebrow like he was genuinely confused. "You're the queen, remember?"

"Yeah, but you don't need to bow to me every single morning," I replied, shaking my head with a grin. "It's sweet and all, but you really don't have to."

He stood up straight, still smirking. "Are you sure? Because I think I look pretty good down here."

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Yes, I'm sure. Just treat me like you normally do. We don't need all the theatrics."

Asher stepped closer, his smirk turning into a soft smile. "Alright, no more bowing," he said, leaning in to kiss my cheek. "But you know I'd do anything for you, right?"

I nodded, feeling my heart swell a bit. He always knew how to say the right thing. "Yeah, I know," I said, giving him a quick peck on the lips. "Just keep being you. That's all I need."

"Deal," he said, wrapping an arm around my waist. "No more bowing, unless you really want it."

I shook my head, laughing again. "We'll see," I said, nudging him with my elbow. The whole queen thing was fun, but I liked it better when we were just us, without the drama. It felt more real, more us. And I wouldn't trade that for any title in the world.

                        †††††††††

Asher's car pulls up to my office building, right on time. "Alright, have a good day, Queen," he says, smirking as he leans over to kiss me. It's always the same, a soft kiss on the lips, just long enough to make me wish it could go on a little longer."Thanks, you too," I reply, giving him a quick peck back. It's our usual morning routine, and I like it this way. The familiar rhythm of it. He always makes sure I get in safely, and I always give him a wave as I walk to the door.

Today we're working on a few designs for a big client, a new project that requires something fresh yet classic.It's going to be a busy day, but I'm ready for it. I've got my team, my coffee, and a quick text from Asher that just says, "Thinking of you." Yeah, today’s going to be just fine.

I glanced at the clock on my desk, seeing the digital numbers flip to 11:30 AM. My stomach grumbled a little, reminding me it was almost lunchtime. But instead of my usual sandwich or salad, I had a different idea for today.Asher had been working like a machine these past days, grinding away on a big project that was keeping him at the office late.

We hadn't had much time for ourselves, and I missed those little moments with him. So, why not surprise him with a lunch date? I knew just the place to get his favorite dish—Szechuan chicken from that tiny Chinese restaurant on Elm Street.I ordered Asher's favorite, along with some spring rolls and dumplings—because who doesn't love dumplings? The whole thing took about ten minutes, and soon I was on my way to his office, balancing the takeout bags in my arms.

I walked with a bit more purpose, knowing that Asher's office was only a few blocks away. As I approached his building, I felt that little thrill of anticipation, wondering what his reaction would be when he saw me. Would he be surprised? Happy? Maybe a little embarrassed, but in that cute, shy way he had when I did something unexpected.

I stepped off the elevator with a bounce in my step. The smell of Chinese takeout wafted from the bags in my hands, and I couldn't wait to surprise Asher with lunch.But as I turned the corner towards Asher's office, I noticed his assistant, Jake, pacing back and forth in front of the door.

He seemed startled to see me, quickly stepping in my path to block the way,but I was already at the door, turning the handle. The scene that met my eyes stopped me in my tracks.Asher was behind his desk, his shirt partially unbuttoned, and Maya, stood uncomfortably close, her hand resting on his chest. Their faces were just inches apart.

My first reaction was a mix of shock and rage. My grip tightened on the takeout bags, crinkling the paper."Asher, what the hell?" I demanded, my voice sharp and cold. He pushed Maya away, backing off quickly. "Addy, it's not what it looks like," he said, raising his hands as if to calm me down."Shut up," I snapped, my anger flaring like a wildfire.

I didn't want to hear his excuses. Not yet. I fixed my glare on Maya, who was watching me with a smirk that made my blood boil. I took two long strides towards her and grabbed her by the arm, yanking her away from Asher.

"How dare you touch my man?" I yelled, my voice echoing through the office. Without another thought, I slapped her hard across the face. The sound cracked through the air like a whip, and her smirk vanished, replaced with shock.

"Why did you hit me?" she demanded, her eyes blazing with defiance. "Your husband was just as much at fault, standing there with his shirt unbuttoned and everything. Shouldn't you be angry at him?"

"Listen," I said, my voice sharp and clear, "I trust my husband. He wouldn't even think about other women, let alone touch them. I know him, and I know what kind of man he is. You, on the other hand, should have known better."

"Listen," I said, my voice sharp, "next time you get near my man, it's not just going to be a slap. So don't even think about it." She started to say something, but I wasn't interested in hearing her excuses. "You can try all you want to break us up, but it's not gonna happen. Got it?"

I turned to Asher, my glare sharp enough to cut through steel. "And you," I snapped, "you're sleeping on the couch tonight." Asher opened his mouth to protest, but I held up my hand to shut him up. "Not another word."

I leaned out of the door and saw Jake pacing nervously. "Jake!" I called. "Get in here." He came in, looking like he was expecting a storm. "Throw this woman out," I said, pointing to Maya. "And don't be shy about it." Jake nodded and moved toward her, while she mumbled something under her breath. I ignored her.

Then, I picked up the takeaway I'd brought for Asher and handed it to Jake. "Here," I said with a tight smile, "you enjoy this. Looks like you could use a break." Jake blinked, surprised, but took the bag.