Chapter TwentyOne

After me and Jake have our moment we decide to lay on my bed and chill. We lay next to each other with my head on his arm. We spend a while in silence, him playing with my hair. After some time he stops and reaches over me to my bedside table. He picks up the book I have been reading which was: The Best Of Me.

He open it to the post-it mark I have in the middle. It wasn't my bookmark, but the paragraph was highlighted because it was my favorite part of the whole book.

He holds the book in his one hand, his other arm still around me. Then he clears his throat and reads out loud:

"Being together isn't about a honeymoon. It's about the real you and me. I want to wake up with you beside me in the mornings, I want to spend my evenings looking at you across the dinner table. I want to share every mundane detail of my day with you and hear every detail of yours. I want to laugh with you and fall asleep with you in my arms." (Excerpt From: Sparks, Nicholas. "The Best of Me." Grand Central Publishing, 2014-07-04. iBooks. This material may be protected by copyright.)

He stops reading, even though Dawson's confession to Amanda goes way further. Nicholas Sparks is my favorite writer and I have read all of his other books.

His voice is so sweet and loving when he reads the excerpt.

"You could be a poet." I tell him placing my hand on his chest.

He chuckles and pulls me closer into his side.

"If I was, I would be able to write hundreds of poems of my mate's radiating beauty."

I blush at his thoughtfulness.

"You make me seem so special, when really there isn't much of anything fancy about me."

He growls at me. "You are the most stunning thing to ever walk this earth. You may not believe it, but I will be here to remind you of it every day of the rest of your life."

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. This guy is the one-thing that makes me believe I'm actually attractive.

I don't respond to him and it gets comfortably quiet again. Together we could spend hours not speaking a word yet still be perfectly fine together.

The wind is loud outside and when the rain starts picking up I scoot closer to Jake.

"You may want to head home soon. The storm is picking up."

"My home is where ever you are."

I roll my eyes even though I'm melting inside. "Now you're just getting cheesy."

"Cheesy for you. And only because I love you." He says to me. Hearing him say it to me again makes me feel so right. My life can't get any more perfect right now.

He gets up and reaches down to tie his shoes, which I don't remember him kicking off. He is tying his left shoe when he freezes. He straightens his back and his eyes get slightly hazy.

"Jake what's wrong?" I ask him.

He ignores me and jerks up in a standing position. He runs to my window with his inhuman speed and jumps out with out another word.

I lay on my back, propped up on my elbows and my jaw drops. What the hell was that? Why didn't he say goodbye like he usually does or give me a goodbye kiss?