Chapter TwentySeven

When we got home, it looked the same as it had when we left.  My dad's car wasn't there, so I assumed he still wasn't back. I also assumed Jeremy wasn't home since it was only eleven and he didn't have a curfew now that school was out.

"Want to come in and hang for awhile?" I asked Jake. It was kinda pointless that I say it aloud anyways. He came in before I went to bed anyways to sleep by me. "Maybe Anna and Jace are still watching movies."

As much as Jake opted for me to stay away from Anna, I straight out ignored his orders. She was nice and always was so sweet when we talked. Plus I think it made Jace happy to see us getting along.

We got out of the car and walked through the garage into the house. Then I walked into the living room with Jake being towed behind me.

Jace and Anna were watching Bridesmaids and they just so happened to be at the airplane scene. Anna and Jace both smiled to acknowledge us and then continued to laugh as Kristen Wiig was taken down by Megan McCarthy.

Towards the end of the movie, when Helen and Annie were looking for Lillian, Jace got up mumbling something about popcorn.

I was curled next to Jake, and as Jace left the room he flexed his arms, pulling me more towards him. I rolled my eyes at Jake's distrust for Anna.

"It's fine Jake." I growl. Anna chuckles and Jake squeezes me even more.

"She's right. I'm not gonna hurt her or bother either of you for that matter." Anna tells us.

"How do we know that?" Jake hisses. I feel annoyed that he's acting like this, but can't help but blush at his protectiveness.

"I'm here for Jace. I love him. I didn't find my mate like you did, Jake, but I feel like if I wasn't meant to find my mate I was meant to find Jace." She say's it so simply my heart bursts with pride that Jace found his girl.

"See, she's good. And she's strong like you. She could protect me if you couldn't." Jake's growl ripped through the air right as I finished my sentence.

"Why couldn't I protect you?" Jake asks me through his clenched teeth.

I roll my eyes and playful slap Jake's chest. "I meant you could get stuff done if you knew someone was protecting me."

"-which I wouldn't know because I don't trust her."

I wanted to slap Jake but resisted the urge. Instead I shut my mouth and was thankful Jake did too. Jace eventually returned and we finished the movie. Jake and I picked the next one and we chose The Hangover. I would have picked a romance movie but I didn't want to have to endure the sex scenes while my brother was in the same room.

The doorbell rang and I looked at the clock confused. Who would ring the doorbell so late on a Monday night?

"Jace! Can you get that?" My mom screamed from upstairs. Jace shifted to get up but I jumped up quicker, curiosity getting the best of me.

"I'll get it Jace." Jake stands up as well and I grab his hand to lead him to the door.

I flick the light on in the hallway and don't hesitate before I pull the door open. Jake growls and pulls me to him as Micah pushes the door all the way open from the outside.

"Long time no see." He says, but this time not as snidely as he had the time before. He actually sounded nervous.

"Why are you here." Jake spits, while nonchalantly shifting me to be hidden behind him.