Ch.13

"Its been a long time since you injected me with fear toxin Jonathan." Julia stated as they sat on her couch in her apartment. She had wanted to introduce Jonathan to Arkham, who surprisingly wouldn't leave him alone.

He sighed as he leaned back and closed eyes. Petting Arkham with one hand, who continued purring in content. "For one reason, it honestly hasn't crossed my mind. Second, it worries me that you sound eager for it. I don't want you to get addicted to the toxin."

"I know. But I feel like I'm so close..."

It had been two weeks since she found Jonathan. And he had only used the fear toxin twice, but both tests were only in the first week.

"How about we talk about your fears for the next session then." he said finally.

Julia hesitated, and saw Jonathan smirk with his eyes closed. "Or are you more afraid of talking about it then reliving it I wonder?"

He sat back up, and opened his eyes. "You do know unless you tell me what you see, I can't really help you. That fear will always be lurking at the back of your mind, waiting for the moment to hit you the hardest when you're unprepared."

"I have told you." she protested.

He raised an eyebrow. "Then why do you stop talking right after you mention being alone? Even though the fear toxin is still in your system for about five minutes after?"

She avoided his eyes.

"So would you like to talk about it?"

Julia shook her head and looked away. She felt a hand touch her shoulder, and flinched away.

She saw Jonathan narrow his eyes as he took his glasses off, and set them on the coffee table.

"I think you need to leave." she said, her voice shaking.

She stood up and walked towards her front door. Hearing footsteps behind her, she reached out to turn the handle when Jonathan grabbed her and shoved her against the wall. He put one hand over her mouth to muffle her cry of alarm.

"Quiet." he whispered. "I just need you to tell me what you fear the most. Let me help you."

She shook her head as he removed his hand. It was just like this when injected with the toxin...

"Tell me Julia!"

"Its you!" she suddenly burst out. "Its always been you."

Jonathan let go of her in shock as she fell to the floor sobbing. One hand over her mouth to try to stifle the sound. She wished her heart didn't hurt so much.

She saw him pause before kneeling down next to her. He gently grabbed her hands and pulled her to him. She collapsed in his arms as she continued to cry. "I'm sorry." she whispered over and over.

"Don't be." he murmured. "Its my fault. I should've expected this. It was the most logical outcome to using the fear toxin on you in the beginning."

She felt his hand gently stroke her hair. Julia took a shuddering breath as she calmed down. She pulled back as she looked at him. "Help me, Jonathan."

In response his lips crashed onto hers. A burning desire filled her whole body as she kissed him back while running her fingers through his messy brown hair.

She gasped as his fingers trailed down her arms, leaving a tingling feeling behind.

"Are you still afraid of me?" he whispered against her lips.

"Are you?"

...

She woke up and wrapped herself in her blanket more. Things didn't go too wild last night, it was just mainly kissing with no clothes off. Which was fine with her.

Julia looked over her shoulder to see Jonathan sitting with his back to her. She smiled as she wondered how he could wear a suit all the time.

"Hey." she said softly. "You okay?"

He turned and grabbed her searching hand. He layed back down as he examined her pale hand, stroking it gently. "I'm ok." he said. "Just awake. That's all."

She nodded, too tired to question him further. She moved and put her head on his chest, feeling him stiffen as she touched him. He was warm and she could hear his steady heartbeat as he relaxed.

"Go back to sleep." he murmured in her ear.

He gently rubbed his hand in comforting circles on her back. "You're safe and I'll always protect you."

"Always?" she murmured as she felt the pull of sleep.

"Always."