Part 2: Pain

Ch. 18

A year later...

Julia entered the church alone. Candles were lit and a smell of something sweet was in the air. She had never been to a church, but was born a Christian. But after living with her parents, she believed in nothing. But now that she felt the pain inside her spreading, she decided it couldn't hurt to talk to somebody about her problems.

The church was Catholic which was fine with her. They never told anyone about other people's issues. After tonight only her and the person whom she talked to would know.

A Father walked between the aisles towards her as she stood by the door.

"Father." she said. "I-I..." her words faded into sobs.

"Come here and sit." he said with a voice of kindness, as he led her forward. They sat in one of the aisles, as he waited for her to stop crying.

"Sorry Father. It's just the past month has been so hard." she choked out.

"I will keep everything you tell me to myself and not tell another soul. So don't worry about other ears."

"Thank you. That means alot to me."

He nodded softly. His silver hair glinted in the flickering candle light. "What may I call you?" he asked softly.

"Julia." she trusted him.

"Well Julia, I'm here to listen and give you words of advice, comfort, and wisdom. So when you are ready..."

"I know you recognize me from the news. The stitches give it away, don't they?" she laughed darkly. "But that is only one side of me. The other is more compassionate and considerate and... Thoughtful. But I feel like I have lost myself. I have fallen and I don't know how to get out."

"I have lived with an abusive family for my childhood, and then lived at Arkham Asylum for years. I am not insane, but I just never fit in anywhere. Then the prison break happened and I escaped and regained a sense of clarity. I started to live a normal life as one could do, but then I fell in love." she paused. "But he showed me a darker side of the world and I was drawn into it. We were partners in crime. And we were in love."

"This went on for the past year. Love, crime, fear... And sins. I was happy... But then I started to get a pain that went throughout my whole body. And since I am a criminal I can't go to a hospital. So a friend helped me to get in finally about a month ago. And that was when I found out I have cancer... Maybe I'd have a chance of recovery if I was able to get treatment, but I'm a criminal that has sinned. Is that why is God punishing me? That's all I can think of as the reason why. But I have suffered so much already."

She angrily wiped a falling tear away. She didn't want to keep crying.

"Your lover is the Scarecrow, is he not? What has he said about this?"

"As soon as I found out I had cancer, I-i ran away in the night. He doesn't know."

He thoughtfully scratched his head. "My words to you I shall say carefully. God is not punishing you for the sins you did or for falling in love with a criminal. He lets life take its course, and steps in along the way. And as for your lover, the only thing I can tell you is to tell him. It's better to suffer with someone you care about, and he rightfully deserves to know."

Julia choked back a sob. "But I'm afraid..."

"God shall give you strength as will the virgin Mary. She has suffered a different hardship, but a hardship nevertheless."

"Thank you Father. But could... Could I have a minute alone..."

"Of course. May you find the strength that you need." he left with a nod and walked with a shuffle.

Once alone, she put her head in her hands and cried.

Why? Was all that she could think about. Why her? Wasn't her past life filled with enough pain? Why did she have to suffer more?

And she was afraid to tell Jonathan. She didn't know how he would react, and even if he accepted it, things would never be the same again. Never ever again.

>Just wanted to say I don't really know how a Catholic church works. But I know about the confessions with a Father. So please don't take offense if I got anything wrong. I did what I thought a Catholic church does.

Let me know if you like the story! I'm all ears ;)