Ch.22

Julia could say her weekly schedule looked something like this:

Monday: Beatings
Tuesday: Beatings
Wednesday: Electric Therapy
Thursday: Actual Talking Session
Friday: Beatings
Saturday: Special
Sunday: Day Off

Starvation was added to the list from time to time. But half the time she wouldn't have been able to stomach anything anyway.

The day she dreaded most would have to be Saturday. Ever since the first week she got here, and found out what Dr. Harris planned for that day...

She shook her head to clear her thoughts. She didn't want to think about the doctor on her day off. No she wanted to think about Jonathan and why he was missing. There had been no new stories about the Scarecrow either, so the worst to assume would mean he was dead. But a feeling said he wasn't and that's what she held onto tightly.

She just wished that somehow she knew what had happened to him after her "death."

...

Julia awoke to a loud commotion in the hallway. She shot up and went to the door and looked through a small square window that she just managed to be tall enough for. She couldn't see anything yet as the yelling started to grow louder. Then she saw two guards walking simultaneously while a man was dragged in between them. The mans face was obscured by his brown hair and he was dressed in a black suit that had a rip on the shoulder. And when the man lifted his head, she saw familiar piercing blue eyes that recognised her instantly as she recognised him.

Jonathan.

His eyes were filled with disbelief as she stared in shock. She opened her mouth to say something but then the guards dragged him out of view, and she was left staring at the empty hall.

...

She awoke on Monday and quickly prepared herself for the daily beating. When the guards came to take her, she hung limply in between them. But she was surprised when they took her to Dr. Harris's office.

She had been here before for their talking sessions on Thursdays. The same brown rug was dirty with an occasional rip. The walls tan and speckled with red. A bookcase was on one wall, filled with random books and journals. And in the middle of the room was a desk with a chair on each side.

Julia was dragged to the patients chair like always, and then strapped down with the same brown leather restraints, as Dr. Harris took the other seat.

He waved his hand at the guards and they left without a word. The door closed with a slam and she was left alone with the manic.

"Are you wondering why you are here?" he asked quietly.

"My schedule changed." she guessed.

He chuckled briefly. "Only for today Miss Heart. Only for today."

His gaze was predatory as she fidgeted uncomfortably. "I do hope your day off was pleasant. But I thought Saturday was more fun."

She flinched at his words. "We didn't come here to discuss pleasantries." she just failed to keep the shaking out of her voice.

"No we did not." he said amused. "I wanted to talk about your relationship with Dr. Jonathan Crane."

She was taken back. "We don't have one." she whispered.

"Don't lie to me!" he yelled suddenly as he slapped his hand on the desk making her jump and then her hands started to shake slightly. "I know about him being the Scarecrow since the Batman brought him in yesterday." he hissed. "And I know you worked with him."

She avoided his eyes.

"So I'll ask again... What is your relationship with Crane."

"Just partners in crime." she whispered looking down.

"Are you lying Julia?"

"No." she lied.

She knew that he could tell that she was indeed lying and waited for the punishment. But it never came. So she looked up to see Dr. Harris smiling.

"Thank you for your answer. It will be most helpful for the future."

Julia shivered at his unsettling gaze.

He got up, still smiling and came to stand in front of her. She flinched as his hand grabbed her chin roughly, jerking her head upwards. She kept her gaze downwards as he stroked her cheek with a finger. And he grinned as he saw the fear in her eyes.

"Remember Saturday?" he whispered. "It was just like this... But this time you shouldn't resist me."

His lips then crashed into hers forcefully as she tried to draw back. But he kept at it so she bit him, drawing blood. He slapped her hard as he drew back. Her head spun as he grabbed her chin again.

"I believe you have forgotten to not fight me. So let's do this again and again till you get it right." he whispered in her ear.

Julia was filled with dread.