Progress

I tried her number again but no one picked up the call. I knew that something was wrong. I gave up and called Jason.

'Hey love, any progress?.'

'Nope.'

'That's bad. Let's head to the library.'

'I will meet you in a sec.'

It was snowing heavily. Snow clouds were  hanging low over the naked trees. My head still felt heavy due to lack of sleep. I pulled on my jeans and a sweatshirt.

I set out to meet Jason. I brushed a snowflake from my forehead. Slipping and sliding, i ran through deep snow. I pulled the drawstrings of my parka hood tight. I adjusted my fur-lined gloves and the muffler.

After five minutes, i met Jason and we set off together to the library.

'Where is it?,' i said. 'We have been walking for nearly fifteen minutes.'

'Turn right and you will find it,' he said digging his gloved hands deep into his coat pockets.

We crunched our way past a wide, woodsy lot filled with pine trees nearly as thin as pencils. I saw a animal tracks in the snow.

Racoon or squirrel?  No, Too big. Deer tracks? I couldn't tell.

The snow became deeper and softer. Large white rocks jutted up from the snow clumps of slender pine trees tilted in every direction. I could see only trees and snow covered shrubs and jutting rocks. The wind whistled. I rubbed my cheeks and nose to warm them.

Suddenly, a two-storeyed   building came into view.

'We've reached,' said Jason, taking my hand.

The library was just like the one at my house but of course bigger.

'May i help you?,' asked a lady wearing wire-rimmed spectacles that kept on slipping on her nose. She had a childish voice and was wearing blue blouse and jeans.

'We need to go through last ten years newspapers,' I said.

'Come this way,' she said.

She led us upstairs through a wooden staircase. There were only few people in the library checking out different kinds of books.  I was shocked by the sight in front of me!

'Oh gosh!,' moaned Jason.

The entire room was filled with newspapers as if there were millions of newspapers stacked together.

'You can find the last ten years newspapers over there,' she said pointing to a huge stack to our right. 'If you want something else, please call me.'

We nodded. 

'Kat, it's gonna take a lot of time to go through these newspapers,' said Jason.

I removed the gloves and i started checking the newspapers of the year 1996. I was keen on finding some news related to the haunted house.

Three hours elapsed.

I was just going through the headlines in the front page. If i started checking out all the pages, it will take a lot of time as Jason had said.

I finished checking the 1996 papers. I handed Jason the 1997 newspapers.

he shook his head. 'Nothing in these papers.'

It was already 7:00. I felt sleepy and was yawning my head off. I set Jason yawning too.

My phone rang.

'Yes mom, I will be there within 10-15 minutes,' i said into the phone.

'I think we should come again tomorrow. It's getting late,' said Jason.