Chapter 44 - Too Good to be True

[NOT EDITED]

Katherine's POV

"I am here for the final step."

I don't know if it is the words or the way he said them that made me panic , i felt the blood rushing in my veins as i stared at him.

"What do you mean ?" My voice was so low , a mere whisper that for a moment I thought he didn't hear me.

"I me.." He started but when his eyes went to something behind me , he stopped.

The way his facial expression changed from cold to anger and rage, made me turn my head instantly.

Ashton was walking toward us , confusion written all over his face as he stepped near me.

Handing me my phone , his hand went to my waist and pulled me closer to him in a protective way.

"Caleb." He said not hiding the surprise in his tone, "What are you doing here ?".

"Well , I came here to express my sincere condolence." Caleb said making me snap my head in his direction.

What does he mean by that ?

What did he do ?

"What ? " Ashton asked , his brows knitted together, "What are you talking about? "

"Oh you don't know yet." Caleb said faking surprise, his tone showing his mocking.

"Tsk tsk." He said as he shook his head.

"The bank took over your company , just like an hour ago." He said shrugging , " And they are putting it for sale , and i though , why not extend my work ." He said with a big smirk then extended his hand , " So meet your new boss."

His words didn't make any sense in my mind , and Ashton's shocked expression made it harder to digest what is happening.

"How ?" I said looking at Caleb.

The company was in debt but it wasn't as big that would make the bank take over it.

I don't understand, what did Caleb do ?

"Dear Katherine." He said in a mocking tone , " Actually i should thank you for that."

This sick feeling in my stomach intensified, i felt my whole body shaking. If it wasn't for Ashton's hold i would've fell already.

"It all goes back to the file that was in your bag." He said with a smile , an evil one. "Remember, when you came to my home."

My eyes widened , the file , that file Ashton told me to keep it with me until we go back and it is really important.

"How ..." My voice was shaking , "How dare you steal the file from me ?"

How did he take it ?

It is probably when i went to the other room to answer Ashton's call.

He took it from my bag !

"How dare you go through my stuffs ? " I snapped at him .