chapter 6: Tsaheylu

Tsaheylu

Tsaheylu

(v) a bond, or neutral connection
• • •

I opened the front door and displayed my smile to the world surrounding me. The warm sun shone down through the faint clouds in the sky, tiny slivers of light passing by the thick leaves of huge trees in the yard. Light blue painted the horizon, a few tints of turquoise peeking through. The trimmed hedges were riddled with sweetly chirping birds and tiny flowers that sprouted up from the dense ground. A comfortable breeze blew past my bare skin and brushed through my waves. Bubbles of joy bounced through my stomach and up to my mouth, stretching my lips into a wide smile. Waves of happiness filled my soul so suddenly that it surprised me. It's amazingly inspiring just how a simple beautiful day can warm your soul.

I heard the giggles of young Claire and Bronwyn as they ran passed the steps, enveloped in a game of make-believe. My eyes then panned over to Fiona, a small smile creeping on her lips as she stood in her garden, eyeing the things she's created. Hugh joined her, his hand resting on her shoulder as he walked up from behind her. I cocked an eyebrow at the two as they shared an innocent smile between each other.

My eyes found their way back to the hedges where a captivated Horace now stood with a hand on his chin, admiring the shrubbery. He had one hip popped as he tilted his head slightly, totally enveloped by the pristine hedge-work. I let out a pretty loud laugh. I'm surprised no one noticed.

I watched The Twins as they played a game of rock-paper-scissors. As quickly as I began watching them, they changed to a game of tag. I followed their agile steps for a few seconds before my eyes landed on someone else.

He was quietly sitting under a shaded tree next to Victor, fixated on what looked like a ball of clay in front of him. I stepped down the few stairs and began my journey over to the boys. I gulped as I got closer, reflecting on Enoch's actions the previous day. My palms began to sweat and I quickly dried them on my red dress. Why does he make me so nervous.

When I was a few feet in front of them, Enoch's tired eyes rose from his work. He shuffled to the right, picking up a few tools as he shifted, and gestured for me to sit with him. Victor smiled at me and waved.

"Hey Victor," I smiled, sitting down next to Enoch.

"Hiya! Oh shoot I need to find Bronwyn. I need to make sure she's aware that our daily chore got switched with Millard's."

I nodded thoughtfully and watched Victor jog away, looking for his little sister. The grumpy boy next to me was right back to his work as soon as I sat down next to him. Crossing my legs underneath myself, I peered over to the activity in front of Enoch.

"What are you working on?"

He picked up a clay man and held it out for me to see. "My peculiarity."