chapter 26: Compunction

Compunction

Compunction

(n) the feeling of guilt after committing a wrongful act
• • •

"Please do this for us, Horace. For Adeira," Emma pleaded.

I sat on the floor of Horace's chambers, fiddling with my finger as Emma tried to convince him to help us out.

"If it's that important to you," he agreed reluctantly.

I nodded slowly. Horace sighed and moved to sit with me on the floor.

"What do you remember of your mother?"

I looked out the large window in Horace's room. As I thought of it, I couldn't remember many things of my mother. Only the small memories came into my mind.

"She was. . .beautiful. My mother had long hair that she always fiddled with. I remember her playing with mine and braiding it into beautiful updo's and styles for a simple walk outside. She would make the most amazing dinners. Dad would tell her that she's going over the top, but I enjoyed every minute of it. The both of them would read me to sleep at night, my father would sing to me. With a kiss on my head he would leave the room, leaving my mother and I. She would tuck me in and tell her how much she loved me. . ."

Horace and Emma were silently watching me trail away. I spoke calmly and slow, absorbing every memory I could. I missed them terribly, even after all these years.

Horace softly smiled at me, "I'll do my best."

I looked down at my pocket, feeling the watch's tick once more. Placing it in my hands, I read the time.

"It's almost dinner," I stated dully.

"Where did you get that?" Horace asked, pointing to the watch in my hands.

I smiled gently and Emma scooted closer to me on the floor, peering over my shoulder.

"That's from Enoch, isn't it?"

I nodded and placed my finger over the engraved initials.

Horace took his hat off and spoke genuinely, "You must really mean a lot to him."

I fiddled with the watch in my hands. Emma soon finished Horace's thought.

"That watch was given to him by his mother."

I looked up at Emma with wide eyes.

"Only Millard, Horace, and I know about the history behind that watch. Enoch would have never given up that watch unless he truly wanted to," she finished.