chapter 20: Matutine

Matutine

Matutine

(adj) just before the dawn
• • •

[Time Skip: 1 Week Later]
__________________
Abraham has fit in well at the house. Most of us like him, all except for Enoch and Victor. Enoch was jealous of him for a while, and I think he still is. To me, Enoch has no reason to be jealous of Abe. Sure Abe is handsome, but he's no Prince Charming. Though to Emma, Abraham is a different story. They've been hitting it off really well. I can only giggle when Emma swoons about him to me.
With Emma falling for Abe, Victor has been down in the dumps for the past week.

As I sat in the living room practicing piano, I paused for a moment to smile up at Enoch. He was just standing there watching me play as if I had him under a musical spell. I laughed and soon became saddened as I looked over at Victor who was laying on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. I felt my eyes droop and I quickly come up with a plan.

"Vic?"

"Yeah Adeira?"

"Come here," I said with a giddy smile.

I turned in my seat at the vintage piano and scooted over so that Victor could sit down next to me. Enoch narrowed his eyes at me, leaning against the wall next to the piano. I sent him a stern look.

"Victor, I know a song that could cheer you up. Horace taught it to me," I smiled.

Enoch opened his mouth a little to say something, but I reached over and hit his arm. Victor didn't seem to notice Enoch's edge of jealousy, as he was looking down at his hands like a wilting flower.

I played a chord on the piano and Victor's head tilted upwards, watching my fingers as I played a cheerful tune. As the intro continued, Enoch relaxed and I soon began to recite the lyrics that fit perfectly with the piano's hum. As I sang happily I saw Victor grow a slight smile at a few of the funny lyrics. Enoch seemed a bit annoyed, but nevertheless calm. As I finished the last verse, I looked over at Victor who smiled gently.

"Thanks Adeira, but I think I'll just head to my room now."

My mouth formed the shape of an O and I nodded slightly. Victor then stood up and left the brightly lit living room without a word.

"Horace taught you that?" Enoch asked once Victor had left.

"Yeah," I smiled, "He's really talented."

Enoch scoffed and I responded with a playful glare.

"Don't tell me you're jealous of three members of this household now?"