chapter 28: Threatened

~A/N: Hey guys!! I'm trying to make a better Description for SPARK. . .do you mind helping me?

What are some of your favorite quotes or scenes from this story? It can be from the very beginning up into including this chapter!

Thank you guys so so so much for the help xx~
__________

Thank you guys so so so much for the help xx~__________

Threatened

(n) to be endangered
• • •

2 days until the boat arrives.

My head is throbbing like a hammer pounding into a wooden panel. My eyes feel puffy and heavy, carrying the weight of exhaustion. Sitting up in bed, my bones crack. I slept heavily. Absorbing my surroundings, a wave of realization hits me.

Dark wallpaper plasters the walls, pouring into an even darker flooring. Glass jars decorate shelves upon shelves upon shelves of work, reflecting delicate light that threatens to enter the room like someone dared to touch a hot surface. A desk close to the soft bed where I sit upright is riddled with papers and clay figures.

My heartbeat is so loud I'm afraid people can hear it downstairs.

Because I know exactly where I am.

Looking around the room, I spot Enoch laying on the floor beside his bed. He's wrapped in the distantly-lilac smelling blanket he draped over me a few weeks ago, with his head resting on an uncomfortable-looking pillow. I smile sweetly down at Enoch before slowly getting out of his bed.

Kneeling in front of his sleeping body, I rest a kiss on his temple. My heavy hands drape another blanket over the dead-riser before I make my way over towards the door.

"Adeira?" a deep, and tired voice calls out.

"Yes, Enoch?" I respond sweetly.

"Talk to Miss Peregrine," he mumbles.

I nod with a sad smile before leaving the room.

My mind had cleared since the news last night. The only emotion I feel for my mother is emptiness. She's not the mother I remember taking care of me, loving me. This person is the epitome of change and contamination of ones very soul. I don't know what happened to her. And I don't care enough to figure it out.

Walking down the stairs, rays of midday light shone through the windows, causing me to squint. Miss Peregrine had let us who were working late sleep in for the first time ever. I rubbed my pounding head, walking down the long hallway after reaching the bottom of the steps. The sounds of active peculiar children bounced against the walls of our home, filling my ears with laughter. The children's giggles helped a smile tug at my lips, though I couldn't bring myself to commit.