chapter 14: Drapetomania

~A/N: Thank you so much for 200+ votes!! ~
__________

~A/N: Thank you so much for 200+ votes!! ~__________

Drapetomania

(n) an overwhelming urge to run away
• • •

"Raid the Village?" I asked.

It was after dinner and the kids brought me outside, whispering amongst themselves. The setting sky sent rays of beaming light through the trees and cast long shadows across the grass. The horizon was golden with light pinks and purples peeking through into the early sunset. I daydreamed while looking out to the sky. It was beautiful.

Snapping back into reality, I overheard a conversation between Victor and Hugh. They were talking about some sort of game.

"I think she's ready," Hugh stated with confidence.

Victor sighed and Millard stood with his arms crossed. It looked like they had been in a heated conversation. Though Victor didn't respond, his body depicted a struggle, like he couldn't decide between two things. Hugh looked to Millard and he just shrugged.

Hugh nodded and whispered to the children. I looked at Enoch who was sitting on the porch steps next to me.

"You'll see," is all he said. It's like he can read my mind.

Hugh walked up to me with a devilish grin.
"Yeah, Raid the Village."

I raised my eyebrows and looked at him. "We're not going to hurt anyone are we?"

"That depends," Millard budded in.

"What do you mean that depends?" I asked sternly.

"People may get hurt, but we try our best not to," Millard answered calmly.

"Yeah and if someone dies they'll just be back tomorrow," Claire said enthusiastically.

Emma quickly pulled her aside and softly scolded her. The children were all looking at me expectantly.

I didn't have very many questions, just hearing the name of the game made it seem pretty straight forward.

"Alright, the goal for tonight is to steal Mrs. Enthen's pearl necklace. Try your best to stay quiet, and keep the village asleep," Hugh stated. I heard the children mutter between each other. It seemed like a challenge to me, but for the other kids it seemed like they've had to do more difficult things in the past.

"The first person to steal her necklace and bring it back here to the porch, wins," Victor added.

"Any catches?" Emma asked.