chapter 8: Selcouth

Selcouth

Selcouth

(adj) unfamiliar, rare, strange, and yet marvelous
• • •

I followed Bronwyn and Claire down the stairs and outside of the main door. The air was a bit dewy in the early-afternoon sun. The weather's faint coolness was crisp and relaxing.

I noticed the boys kicking a soccer ball back and forth, not really playing an actual game.

Bronwyn ran down to the open field and passed the ball around with the boys. She seemed overjoyed to be playing sports. Claire sat on the porch stairs watching, and I decided to descend the few steps. I saw Emma joining the group of guys as well.

"Hey Adeira! Come join us!" Victor yelled out.

"Yeah, come on!" Millard added as I got closer.

"Alright, but go easy on me. I don't want to rip my stitches," I said with a tone that mocked Mill. He shoved me lightly and I let out a small laugh.

"How are we making teams?" Enoch asked.

"I dunno. Pick two captains and have them choose," Hugh stated, bending over and picking up the soccer ball.

We all eventually picked the two captains as Millard and Hugh. Everyone who wanted to play were split evenly onto the two different teams.

On Hugh's team were Enoch, Bronwyn, and I. On Millard's team were Victor, Horace, and Emma. The teams were pretty equal: my team had three 16+ year olds plus Bronwyn, and Millard's team had three 16+ year olds including him plus Horace.

The boys had set up four stones to mark the two goals on either side of the grassy field, and I was starting to get pumped. Sports have always been a fun part of my life.

Olive ran in right before we started the game to ask if she could say 'ready, go!' It didn't make much sense, but she's cute so we let her.

After Olive yelled out, the game was on. Enoch was the first to reach the ball and he quickly made his way down the field. When Horace put pressure on him, he passed the ball to me. I brought the ball to our strong side-the right side-and channeled the competitive nature that was pulsing through my blood. Millard then attempted to block me, but I easily dodged him. Ambition was taking over my body. The will to win was beginning to become so overpowering that my legs were burning with adrenaline. I was less that 5 feet away from the make-shift goal when Emma shut me out and gained possession of the ball.

"Ha-ha!" She teased when she got the ball. I only laughed, and raced back to help my team on defense.

The game was getting pretty intense. I was surprised how energetic everyone really was when it came to this game of soccer. Maybe it's something they all bond over, I wondered with a smile.