42. Birth of Light

My birthday arrived. My family came for a summer vacation and I received a lot of gifts.

"You have two gifts arrived this morning." Edward puts two gifts on the table and I looked at the note excitedly.

'One might be from Scion and the other is from Sovran.' I slowly opened the sender's note from the first gift wrapped in gold thick wrapper with a red ribbon.

"It's from Sovran." I grinned and turned to the next one which was wrapped in a dark purple silk fabric. "Weird."

"How come?" Mj came closer. "It has no sender." She opened it with a scissor. "Get back, everyone. Something's not right. Brazen, please move away."

We all moved away from the table and let her open it.

"Who will do this to you?" She showed us what's in the box and we saw dead flowers in it.

"It is from someone who hated you and knows your birthday. We should leave today." Jen walks away and went upstairs.

"Where will we go?" Mom asked hysterically.

"Let's go to Sagada!"

"No!" I objected immediately. The nightmare I dreamed of will turn into reality if it happens. The danger might come and it will be too late to escape it. With my situation, I can't face it alone. Not with the baby inside my tummy.

"Do you have a better suggestion?" Everyone looked at me. Jen came back and crossed her arm while waiting for me.

"I'll call Sovran. They never touched him." I took my phone and went to my room. My family deserves a better vacation.

...

"I'm sorry, Sovran. You are the only person that I know."

"I'm happy that you asked help from me." He held on my shoulders and took me to the front seat and closed the door.

"Will it be okay to your parents?" I held on the growing bump on my tummy and he touched my hand and slides it to press my wrist.

"I already owned it. If they will know about it, I'm sure they won't give a shit." He started the engine and we left that next morning.

We celebrated my birthday even if it already ended. I glanced at my tummy and caressed it with my hands in circular motion. "Baby, no one will ever allow you to be harmed."

June 2021, summer was ending and my family went back to the city. Mom had her relocation so she could take care of me.

Sovran started to move closer and comfortable with me but it only made me feel disturbed. He kept on giving me gifts and buying kinds of stuff for me and my mom which bothers me because it's too much.

"I'm just excited, Brazen. The baby is not mine, I know that but it's from my best buddy and my favorite girl in the world." Finally, he noticed how I felt but I understand his feelings too. He was alone child-like Scion who needed some friends and companions. He treated me and my family as his own and we welcomed him with a good communication where we easily understood each other.

"I cooked some pork and beans for the meal and sticky rice with milk for dessert. What more do you want to request?" Mom interrupted us and we shook our heads saying 'it's all good.' This is what Scion and Sovran love about my family. They want the taste of food cooked by mom which they only experienced with us.

"Sovran, is it true that you resigned in the Underground mission?" Though I already received the news I still wanted to ensure.

Sovran swallowed his food first before responding. "Yes, that's true. I'm already tired of the job and I wanted to work on something different."