Telling off Moma

Song: Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson

I don't know why I am nervous but I am. I sit on the side of the stage doing my breathing exercises breathing in-out, in-out. All the student who wants to see the play is sitting out there. I try not to look into the audience. There are so many haters out there.

It's time to get up and I take a deep breath. I tell myself, 'you got this girl,' 'you can do anything.'

I make my way onto the stage and I'm thankful the lights are so bright that I can't really see all eyes on me. There are a few times that I have to sing which is the real reason I got the part to begin with. My voice comes out small and soft but as I continue and my nerves are calming some I belt it out loud. To my surprise when I am finished everyone is clapping and I even hear a few cheers.

Afterwards we have to get ready for tonight performance. I'm staying here with Mrs. Banks. Most everyone else went home to eat and get ready at home. They will be back around six for the show.

"That was amazing; I can't wait to see it again." I hear him behind me.

I turn around to look at Weston and it's only him no friends around. "I'm glad you liked it."

"I actually liked hearing you sing. I feel that I have heard you before." He smiles.

I try not to blush but I know my cheeks are turning red.

"I hear you live in my old house."

"Yeah...we moved in right before Christmas." I try to pretend that I have things to do, mostly just to distract myself from staring at him. I pick up a few clothes and carry them over to a nearby table. "So where are you living now?"

"My grandparents moved back into town so I can finish out the school year. They think its best that I'm around my friends as much as possible."

I laugh under my breath. Then stop because he is looking at me. "Oh that was nice of them."

"Yeah...well I have to be going maybe I will see you later."

"Maybe." I smile. I watch as he leaves the theater. I catch Mrs. Banks looking at me. I can't help but not roll my eyes at her. I know what she is thinking.

We grab a snack before everyone shows back up. She is still smiling. "He likes you, you know?"

"Who?" I act like I know what she is talking about.

She laughs, "You know who I mean."

"Weston was just saying hi, nothing more."

"Well Weston, my dear doesn't go out of his way just to say hi to anyone. I'm telling you it's only a matter of time."

I roll my eyes again but she just continues to smile.

There are so many people here to see the play. I'm not as nervous as I was earlier but I still have the jitters. The play runs by smoothly and we get a standing ovation.

Emily comes up behind me. "Cecilia your voice is freakin' amazing you so got to try out for the end of the year talent show."

"Me...talent show..I don't..." I was interrupted by all the cast members whooping and hollering with high fives and pats on the back.

A group of girls come over to me. "Hey we are all going out to eat you got to come along." They drag me by the arm. Mrs. Banks also goes and she drives me and a few of the other girls to the little café.

I don't realize where we are until I see my moma. She stares right at me. I look away as if I don't know her. I know it's rude but seriously I don't want anyone to know that she is my mom especially these people, my peers that I have to be around daily.

We sit at a corner table and the rest of the cast fills up the other tables occupying the whole back of the café. My mother looks over at me several times but I continue to ignore her.

Closer to the front of the café I spot Weston with his friends. There is a girl; I assume is Miranda, practically on his lap. She keeps touching him all over and playing in his hair. I shouldn't be jealous but I am. I want to go up to her and pull her by her hair and drag her ass out to the parking lot and kick the shit out of her. But it's not my place to say anything. I mean he can date whoever he wants it's not like I have a say in the matter and I am not his girlfriend...hell I'm not even a friend.

I excuse myself to the restroom. I try not to look at the two of them as I walk by. His friends are all talking and Blake calls out, "Hey Cecilia I didn't know you could sing...maybe we should hook up again." When I turn he is giving a high five to Max. I try to bite my lip but I turn and say calmly, "First of all we never hooked up so I would appreciate it if you quit telling everyone we did." I look over at Max. "That goes for you too." I glance over at Weston, that damn Miranda girl is practically in his lap and they are holding hands and with her other hand she is playing with his hair. I close my eyes briefly and take a deep breath then turn to walk away.

When I am in the stall I hear the door open and close. No one makes a sound and there is no movement what so ever. I finish my business and open the door to my moma staring back at me.

"Just because your father is in jail and ain't home don't give you the right to be hanging out late with friends."

"I'm not hanging out. I'm here with Mrs. Banks." I go over to the sink to wash my hands.

"I have about had it hearing about that damn teacher...she ain't your mother I am."

I dry my hands off, keeping my mouth shut. I want to yell her and tell her she is not my mother either. I so don't want to do this here with my so called friends just right out the door.

The door opens again and Mrs. Banks walks in. She is now in the restroom with me and my so called mother. "Cecilia is everything alright?"

I look at my mom and grab a paper towel to dry my hands. "Yes ma'am, I'm just finishing up."

My moma comes between the two of us. "I'm Mrs. Tucker, Cecilia's mom. I don't know who you think you are or makes you think you have the right to tell my daughter what to do."

"Excuse me," says Mrs. Banks.

She gets closer in her face. "You heard me bitch...whatever this is between you and my daughter is finished do you hear me. I don't want Cecilia hanging out around you anymore."

"Mrs. Tucker I assure you..."

She cuts her off, "I know you had something to do with putting my husband in jail. He will get out you know and when he does you better hope he can't find your ass."

Mrs. Banks smiles at me then back at my moma. I don't know how she does it but she is one powerful strong woman. She looks at her with a calm voice and very low, "I'm not afraid of your husband Mrs. Tucker but he better be afraid of me. As for Cecilia she will be home when we get done here and don't you dare say anything else while we are here or I'll press charges against your ass and have you thrown in jail right beside your deadbeat husband."

She reaches over and takes me by the arm and pulls me out of the restroom. Mrs. Banks is officially my hero. I wish I could stand up to people like that.

-------------------------------------------------------
Hope your liking the story. I went back and made a few corrections. If you see any please let me know nicely and I will fix it. Thanks for reading and sharing with others. Also thanks for voting. 😄