diecinueve

"Happy Thanksgiv- where's the food?"  Arcelia said in the morning.  She loved holidays because of breaks from school, but Thanksgiving had a special place in her heart because it was the day she got to feast. 

When she walked into an empty kitchen and her chef brother laying on the couch, she was disappointed.  "There's some cereal in the cabinet."

"I don't want cereal.  Where's the turkey and the mashed potatoes and the elotes?  Oscar, where's the feast?"

"That's for dinner."  Oscar stated.  "Do you not see the big ass turkey in the oven?"

"Can I go eat at Ruby's?  His abuelita might need help."  Arcelia lied.  She really just wanted an excuse to see her boyfriend.  Osar waved her off, so she went down the hallway to change.  In record time, she changed and put on lotion and perfume.  "Bye, O."  Arcelia said.  She wrapped her arms around him and squeezed until he told her to go away.  "Te quiero!  I'll help you cook the food when I get back."

She fr got the best resting bitch face 😩

Arcelia went down the porch and checked the street for Prophets before skipping down the street to Ruby's house.  After a few houses, she knocked on his front door and it opened to her messy haired boyfriend.

"Buenos días!  I've come to eat your food."  She greeted with open arms.  "Hola, mi amor."

"You could've told me you were coming over.  I look like a mess."  Ruby whined.  Before he could pull her into his room with the twins, his mom called out his name.

"Ruby, you didn't tell me tu novita was coming."  Geny, if only you knew.  "The food is almost ready, just go hang out with everyone." 

Not missing a beat, Ruby pulled her to his shared room.  He started pulling clothes out and disappeared behind the closet sliding door, despite it not being a walk in.  Arcelia sat on the bottom bunk s she waited and messed around on her phone.  "Okay, now I look presentable."

"You're so cute."  Arcelia gushed, squishing his cheeks together once he was close to her. 

"I'm not cute, I'm a man."

Arcelia rolled her eyes and got cut off when Ruby leaned forward and pushed her lips.  "No, do it longer."  She mumbled.  Arcelia pulled on Ruby's belt loops and brought him in for a longer kiss.  "K, time for food, mi amor."  Arcelia jumped up and tried moving to the door until Ruby tugged her arm and spun her around to his chest.  All that mess, just so he could kiss her before they walked out.  "Seba!  Te extraño."

"I saw you yesterday, but I guess I missed you too."

Ruby watched the two talk as he walked backwards to help his grandma put the breakfast on the table.  He better not make a move on my girl.

Once all the food was prepped and spread out across the table, Ruby pulled out a chair for Arcelia to sit in and sat right beside her.  They had to say grace, but after, the couple still held hands under the table.  If Olivia and Sebastian weren't at the table, they probably would've announced to the family the new relationship, but maybe another time.

"Do you want to come over later?"  Arcelia asked after breakfast.

Ruby scrunched his face and thought.  "To your house?  Probably not because your brother's scary.  We can go somewhere else.  Oh, like that new shop down the street that you wanted to go to.  I can buy you some Tostilocos."

Arcelia smiled and started tugging on his hand.  "Let's go now.  I have to get something."  Before he could process it, they were in front of Arcelia's house.  For once, her lawn was empty, but when they walked in, 5 bald heads turned to him.  "I'll be fast, promise."

While Arcelia was in her room looking for the Santos cross, Ruby stood nervously in front of the cholos.  "What you doin with mi hermanita?"

"Uhh, she's my friend."

"So you're not dating?"  Oscar asked, moving to stand right in front of him.  His height towered over Ruby's.  Ruby's eyes went wide and he shook his head frantically.

"O, leave him alone.  We're buying snacks."  Arcelia interrupted.  Smoothly, she grabbed Ruby's hand and dragged him out of the house.

"Fool, he straight up lied to your face."    Someone said.

Oscar nodded, watching Ruby be dragged by his sister down the street.  "Yeah, but I've known his little ass since he was 5.  He wont hurt her and if he does, I know where he lives and where Mario is."

× × ×

"Spooky wanted to kill me.  I know it."

Ruby's been ranting since they left her house and now they were on their way back.  "Ruby, he's known you since you were small.  Well, you still are, but- ow!" 

Arcelia rubbed her thigh and pouted.  "It wasn't supposed to be that hard."  Ruby freaked.  He moved her hand away and started rubbing where he slapped her thigh.  "Lo siento, mi vida."

"Can we tell Oscar?  He's probably already suspicious."  Arcelia suggested.  Ruby shook his head and Arcelia sucked her teeth.  "Ruby, I don't like hiding.  We can't even do anything outside of our rooms because you don't want anyone to see us."

The two stopped walking and were looking at each other.  "I know, but if people know, the fam might-"

"Might fall apart.  Amor, we've been through this.  They all kind of expect us to be together, this won't be a surprise to them."  Arcelia explained to him.  "We've been together for weeks now.  Olivia and Cesar are together and nothing's happened.  Are you embarrassed of me or something?"  Ruby said nothing as he looked down at his unofficial-girlfriend.  "Are you still in love with Olivia?  You don't want her to know?"

Ruby still stayed silent and he watched as Arcelia's face dropped.  She scoffed and smiled, slightly scaring Ruby.  "It's not like-"

Arcelia shook her head as she backed away from him.  "You're still in love with her?  After all of these months of her treating you like dirt?  After weeks of us dating?!"  Ruby could feel his chest tightening as he watched Arcelia break down in front of him.

He wasn't in love with Olivia, but he didn't know why he was silent.  He wanted to keep their relationship secret, but he didn't know why.  Ruby loved Arcelia more than he was scared of Oscar.  Why he didn't want to be public with her?  He didn't know.

"Really Ruby?  You're not gonna say anything?  I'm trying to save our relationship here and you're just staring at me!  Tell me you're not in love with Olivia still and why you want to keep us a secret."

Ruby, still silent, continued to stare at Arcelia break down into sobs in front of him.

"You know what, forget it.  I should've just gave up on you during summer."

Ruby watched Arcelia walk down the sidewalk and away from him.  "What did I just do?"

I accidentally started playing my Sad Boy Hours playlist while writing... oops