Chapter 34- Second Chances

(Chapter 34- Second Chances)

Chase stared at me in silence after I had explained everything that had happened to me.  I couldn’t tell what he was thinking and that scared me. He was even keeping me out of his thoughts. I don’t know if he was mad, happy or confused. Maybe he didn’t want me to come back after all. Maybe he is upset I thought I could change things and prevent it all.

“Chase, say something.” I urged.

“I don’t know where to begin.” He replied.

I sighed. “If you’re mad at me just say so.”

“Mad?” He asked. “I’m not mad, I think you mad the right choice.”

“Then what is it?”

“I have something to tell you.” He stated nervously.

I did not like the sound in his voice when he said that. He only talks like that when something is wrong or he done something I wouldn’t like.

“What did you do?” I asked.

Chase turned away from me and began to pace the floor.

“I only did it so he would leave us alone. There was no way he would ever let you go otherwise.” He confessed. “It was either that or kill him.”

“What?” I replied not understanding.

He sighed and came closer to me and held my hand in his. “Don. I had Crystal wipe his mind clear of you, of all of us.”

“S-so he won’t re-” I stuttered while in shock.

“Remember you?” He answered. “No, he won’t.”

I didn’t know how to react to the news. As happy as I should be about it I couldn’t be. Something just didn’t feel right about it. He should have got to say goodbye to me first. He didn’t deserve this, Don wasn’t a bad guy he just made some bad choices. If I could look over them then why couldn’t everyone else?

“You’re upset.” Chase stated.

“I just think it should have been up to him if he wanted his mind erased.”

“But this way he can move on and have a second chance at happiness.” He argued. “I figured you would want that.”

“That’s not the only problem Chase. What about River?” I asked. “Where does this leave him, with me or with Don?”

I shook my head in frustration. “Did you even think about those things when you made your choice?”

“Yeah, I did.” He answered. “I thought we could raise him so he doesn’t turn out like Don.”

I ran a hand through my hair. “I just don’t know Chase.”

“What you did was wrong. Now I have to take River away from the only parent he has ever known.”

Chase really didn’t get it. There was nothing easy about this situation. Either way one of us looses a child. It would have either been me or Don.

“Then we will explain to him that Don had to go away for a little while. In a few years he will stop asking questions. It was the only way to keep him from being Don and 10 years.”

“But he is Don’s son there is no way to insure he won’t turn out like him anyway despite our efforts.” I said.

Chase and I grew quiet as we both thought over our actions. He didn’t look a bit pleased that I was upset over what he did. Maybe he wanted me to be ok with it and maybe I should but there is much more to it than what he thought out. What if River hate’s me forever over this?

“Do you love him?” Chase asked. “Don.”

“I honestly don’t know what I feel.” I confessed. “But whatever it is I feel stronger for you.”

Chase stood up and ran a hand through his tasseled hair. “That not exactly a no.”

“I know but I’m just being honest. A lot of things have happened and we can’t go back and change them, we just have to accept them. Maybe all of this happened for a reason. It could be to show us our love can survive anything.  I don’t know but I do know that everything that has happened made us into the people we are today. I know I’m a whole lot stronger than I ever was and that’s thanks to you and Don both. Let’s just both move on from this ok?” I said.

“So you forgive me?” Chase asked hopeful.

“What’s done is done. Let’s just learn to live with it and let the chips fall where they may.” I answered.

Chase stood up and placed both of his hands on either side of my face and stared into my eyes. “Ashlyn Hayes, I love you.”

I smiled. “I love you too.”

Chase bent down and placed a sweet loving kiss on my lips making me smile. I loved his kisses they were always exactly what needed. He was exactly what I needed. No matter what I loved him with all my heart and I could love no one else like him.

“You know that things aren’t going to be easy right?” I said.

“Are they ever?” He joked.

“I’m serious Chase. This is far from over. We have to prevent the deaths of our children and what may come from our actions.”

He pulled me into his arms and kissed me on the head. “I know but as long as we are in this together I have nothing to fear.”

“Chase.” Someone yelled rushing in the door.

I pulled my head back from Chase and looked to see who it was. Crystal was standing at the door looking worried and scared.

“Ashlyn thank God you’re ok.” She said.

“Yeah, I am but what’s wrong?”

She looked scared out of her mind and walked closer to us. “It’s Don. He caught on to what I was doing and fled.”

“What?” Chase said.

“He was pissed Chase and I have feeling he is going to retaliate.” She said. “No one is safe.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Well what did you think about that? Surprised? I hope you enjoyed this short chappie. Well I’m off the write the epilogue now.

Incase you didn’t  receive the message I sent out yesterday I decided to write this short chapter before the epilogue for having to make you guys wait so long for an update. Don’t worry I plan to have the epilogue up this evening so there will be no wait this time. Anyway please comment and vote. I love hearing what you guys think!