16

On the third day of travelling, Iduna appears above deck, Curly beaming at her.

"You're okay Miss Iduna," He says happily.

"Yes thanks to you Curly," Iduna says with a smile.

"I was worried," Curly says. "Tommy's fever broke quick but not you"

"Have you got a cigarette?" Iduna asks.

"Here," A voice says and Iduna wraps her arms around Tommy. Tommy returns the embrace pressing his lips to her head.

"You're okay," Iduna says relieved.

"So are you," Tommy replies, stroking her hair.

"I'm going to put something in the pan," Curly says. "Can you steer Tommy?"

"I'll give it a go," Tommy says as Iduna sits on the floor, a lit cigarette now between her lips.

"You're almost there too," Curly says, laughing before going below deck.

"He's such a sweet man," Iduna says and Tommy nods. "Heart of gold"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Eventually, they arrive in Camden Town. Tommy and Iduna walk through the docks, arm in arm trying to keep their heads down. They arrive at Alfie Solomons' bakery and Tommy is immediately searched by Alfie's bodyguard. The man turns to Iduna.

"Now, now Ollie" A voice calls out. "Leave the lady alone, have some respect. You two on your own?"

"Seems so" Tommy replies as Iduna once again takes his arm.

"You want to take a look at my bakery?" Alfie asks. "We bake all sorts here mate. Did you know we bake over 10,000 loaves a week? Can you believe it? We bake the white bread, we break the brown bread. We bake all sorts. Would you like to try some? Bread?"

"Alright," Tommy says.

"What would you like, brown or white?" Alfie asks.

"Try the brown," Tommy says.

"Brown right," Alfie says. "And for the lovely lady?"

"White please," Iduna says and Alfie smiles.

"Her, I like her," Alfie says. "She's got manners"

Alfie hands Iduna a glass and she takes a sip.

"It's nice Mr Solomons," Iduna says.

"Please love, call me Alfie"

"Not bad," Tommy says, placing his glass down.

"Not bad, eh?" Alfie says. "Not bad? It's fucking awful, that stuff. The fucking brown stuff is awful. It's for the workers. The white stuff, now that is for the bosses, your lady has got taste. Come, look" Tommy and Iduna follow Alfie into his office.

"Well I've heard very bad, bad, bad things about you Birmingham people," Alfie says before tutting. "You're gypsies, right? But you're not" He points at Iduna before turning back to Tommy. "So what, do you live in a fucking tent or a caravan?" Alfie looks at Iduna again. "I recognise you. You're Iduna Darling."

"Guilty," Iduna says with a shrug.

"You got knocked up didn't you?" Alfie asks. "Yeah, your dad was not happy, tried to get me to find you, you know?"

"There was no scenario in my mind that I pictured him being pleased" Iduna replies and Alfie laughs.

"We came here to discuss business with you, Mr Solomons," Tommy says.