17

Tommy and Iduna are stood smoking outside the apartment building where Ada lived.

"Ada," Tommy says.

"How the fuck did you find me?" Ada asks her brother, whilst hugging Iduna. "Are you reading Polly's letters?"

"Polly showed me the letter," Tommy says. "Look you think you're safe because you moved but you're not"

"Polly thinks the same" Iduna says.

"When will you understand?" Ada asks. "I just want you all out of my life"

"Ada, look at us eh?" Tommy says. "It'll happen again"

"Yeah well next time I'll be ready," Ada says. "In fact I want them to try again because I'll shoot their balls off"

Iduna pushes Ada's hand down.

"Ada put the fucking gun away," Tommy says.

"Get away from me," Ada says. "I'm late for work"

"Alright, fine" Tommy says. "Just take this." Tommy pulls out some money. "Take it. Where you're living now is on the edge of Sabini's territory and all the coppers there work for him. I've got a lot of money coming in. It can't go through the banks. My accountant says the best thing is to buy property for cash and put it in the name of a family member"

"A house?" Ada asks. "A whole house?"

"It's all yours," Iduna says. "Four stories, eight bedrooms, kitchen, scullery"

"Rooms for a maid if your political conscience will allow. At least go and have a look," Tommy says sensing his sister's hesitation. Ada nods and then walks away.

The next morning, Iduna is sitting reading the newspaper when Tommy walks in.

"Anything interesting?" Tommy asks.

"Bolsheviks have won the Russian Civil War and murdered Tsar Nicholas II and members of his family and forced fellow royals who are left to flee the country," Iduna says. "And in Canada, they have used Insulin to successfully treat diabetes"

"Right now we've got to get back to Birmingham because it's Polly's birthday in four days," Tommy says. "Curly's still at the docks so we need to go."

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Iduna and Tommy arrive back in Birmingham and quickly get changed into more presentable clothes. When Polly walks in, everyone begins clapping.

"What the bloody hell is going on?" Polly asks, before throwing herself at Iduna who steps through the door with Tommy. "You scared the shit out of me"

"I'm alright Pol," Iduna says, pulling away slightly.

"When did you two get back?" Polly asks.

"Not long ago," Iduna says.

"We didn't want to miss your birthday Pol," Tommy says.

"Back to work," Arthur says.

"How do you know it's my birthday?" Polly asks. "Nobody ever knows"

"It's different this year," Tommy says, as Iduna stands next to John.

"John, Finn, Iduna" Tommy says. "Bring the car around"

"Where are we going?" Polly asks as Iduna links arms with Finn and John before leaving.

The seven of them arrive in a posh neighbourhood. In the back, Finn, John, Iduna and Polly had squashed up, Sebastian sat on his mother's knee. They pull up outside a fancy house and climb out.

"Good morning," Arthur says as John shoves Finn so Iduna trips him up. Arthur opens the door and they all walk in.

"You said you were gonna buy Ada a house," Polly says.

"Yep," Tommy says. "That's right I did" Iduna ruffles John's hair and he swats her away. "Just had a bit of cash leftover"

"This is ours?" Polly asks.

"No, Polly," Tommy says. "This is yours because you deserve it" Polly looks at the others in the room and they all smile at her.

"What do I do with all these rooms?" Polly asks.

"Well, you could relax for one," Tommy says. "Come here at weekends. It has a garden eh? You love gardens"

"Can I help you garden Aunt Pol?" Sebastian asks, and Polly hugs the boy laughing.

"Of course, you can," Polly says. "We'll have vegetables and flowers."

"We'll plant Camellias," Sebastian says. "Because they are mum's favourite"

"Of course," Tommy says. "You can plant roses too Pol. I don't know, have a piano. Have people round they can have a singsong."

"God help the bloody neighbours," John says.

"Fuck the neighbours," Arthur says and Iduna laughs. Arthur hands Polly a set of keys. "Welcome home, Pol"

"Arthur why don't you and the boys go and wait by the car," Tommy says. Arthur throws Sebastian onto his back.

"Let's go," He says, running out of the house.

Iduna sits next to Polly and strokes the woman's arm comfortingly.

"Pol," Tommy says. "I know you haven't been happy for a while and I know why. Esme is alright you know"

"She's got a big heart, Pol," Iduna says. "That's why she told us, not to be a bitch"

"Told you what?" Polly asks.

"She told us what it is that would make you happy," Iduna says.

"I've spoken to our contacts in the police and Iduna spoke to people in the council," Tommy says. "She found their contacts with people who keep parish records."

"Records of adoptions Pol," Iduna says. "And confidential forced removals."

"Now with your permission," Tommy says. "Iduna and I would like to grease a few palms and take a look at the records they never showed you." Polly leans into Iduna.

"Pol," Tommy says as Iduna rubs her back. "We are going to find your son and daughter and we're going to bring them home. That's what this house is for. So that you can bring your family home where they belong" Polly takes Tommy's and Iduna's hands. "We're moving up Pol" Tommy leaves and Iduna stays.

"Thank you" Polly whispers to Iduna.

"It's nothing Pol honestly," Iduna says.

"No not for this," Polly says. "For loving Tommy. You've made him better, you and Seb. You've given him everything he's ever wanted since he was a boy. Unconditional love and a family. Seb may not be his by blood but Tommy loves him as his own"

"If we're thanking people I want to thank you," Iduna says. "When I moved into Small Heath eight years ago, all the women shunned me. Except for you, that is. When I joined the war effort as a nurse, you took in Seb without any complaints. You may not be genetically related to me but Polly you are like the mother I wish I had and when we bring your children home, they will be so lucky to have you as a mother" Polly nods and hugs Iduna.