25

Tommy knocks on Ada's door and the couple are stunned when a stranger answers Ada's door.

"Hello," The man says.

"We're looking for Ada" Iduna says.

"Who are you?" The man asks and Tommy just pushes him out of the way.

"Tommy!" Iduna exclaims before turning to face the man. "I'm so sorry"

The couple walk into the living room.

"Ada," Tommy says.

"I asked you a question," The man says.

"It's alright, James," Ada says. "This is my brother and this is my best friend"

"Who's he?" Tommy asks.

"He rents a room," Ada says.

"You need to rent out rooms?" Tommy asks his sister.

"Actually she doesn't charge rent," James says cockily.

"He's a writer which means he's skint," Ada says.

"What do you write?" Iduna asks.

"Adventure," James replies.

"Have you had any adventures?" Iduna asks and James shakes his head. "How can you write a thrilling adventure story if you've never had one yourself?"

"Ignore her James," Ada says, with a smile. "She's a literature nerd"

"You get up late these days, Ada," Tommy says.

"I go to bed late," Ada says.

"Where's Karl?" Tommy asks.

"What do you want Tommy?" Ada asks. Tommy stares at James and Iduna snickers, knowing Tommy's thought process. Iduna knew from the moment she saw James.

"Oh, god," Ada says. "Before you start sizing him up for a wedding suit, he's not interested in me. Or in girls of any kind"

"Ada!" James says.

"What?" Ada asks. "Tommy won't judge you. If Iduna did she'd be a hypocrite, the amount of male and female lovers she's had and they sure as hell won't go to the police"

"Look," James says. "I'll go and get dressed"

"James," Tommy says, holding out his hand. "I'm Thomas. Pleased to meet you"

James shakes it.

"Iduna" Iduna says. "Pleasure"

"Can we have a minute with my sister, please?" Tommy asks.

"Yes of course," James says, leaving the room. Tommy sits down.

"So does your lodger know your name?" Tommy asks and Iduna nudges him. Tommy just wraps an arm around her shoulder.

"Yeah, Thorne," Ada says. "You think I'd tell anybody, anything else? Your Brummie boys are all over the papers. Just one last push, eh? Then you'll go legit. Just one more obstacle to get round. Then it'll all be straight "

"Actually yes," Tommy says.

"Personally I find it quite amusing," Ada says.

"This is getting awkward," Iduna says. "I'm going to wander around. Bye"

Iduna ducks out from under Tommy's arm and walks away leaving the siblings to bicker. Iduna hears Karl in another room and walks in.

"Hey!" Iduna says as Karl giggles happily and runs over to her. Iduna scoops him up into her arms. "You've gotten so big!"