Chapter Six

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

"So what's the difference between a fae and a witch?" I asked, ripping into a chunk of bread. I popped it into my mouth and nearly moaned at the flavor. The bread was incredible, really. Tellie and I could never afford to buy goods from the bakery, but if we ever did, the bread there was never as good as this. This was sweet and flakey and practically melted in my mouth. I wondered if she used magic to make it taste that good.

"Oh, big difference," Gretchen said, shoveling more spider soup into her mouth. I tried not to gag. No one else was eating it, except for Anastasia, who ate it like it was the best thing she ever tasted. Figures. But Elda and Dimitri were simply turning their spoons around in their bowls, like I had been doing before. If Gretchen noticed she didn't say anything.

"Fae are able to simply manipulate magic, and its a magic that sits inside of them. It's theirs to control, unique and made for them," Gretchen said, popping what looked suspiciously like a little leg into her mouth. "But with witches, we get our magic from the world around us. From energy. We need something to channel this magic through, like blades, or spells, or amulets, or herbs, potions, sometimes even swords. Swords are always fun." She wiggled her scraggly brows at me and then picked up her bowl, sucking down the contents.

She spat out a bone. "Fae are much more aggressive magic users, less easily controlled. They don't need to channel through anything besides their own fingers. It's also much less natural, their magic, which means it doesn't need to confide to the rules of nature."

"The rules of nature?" I asked, ripping off another piece of bread. I was considering asking what her recipe was before we left. Heather loved to make bread, she'd probably love to try the recipe. But then I remembered that Heather was gone, as was Tellie. My mood deflated and I chewed numbly on the bread in my hand.

"Yes, the rules of nature," Gretchen repeated. "For witch magic, we must sacrifice something in order to use it. Like if we wanted to take away our menstrual cycle for one week, we'd have to experience an intense one full of cramps and buckets of blood the next month. Nature required a balance."

"Buckets of blood?" I wheezed, gaping at her.

Dimitri shook his head. "She's joking, she just means there'd be more than usual." He nudged my shoulder and I let out an uneasy laugh, grabbing my wine and taking a ginger sip. I had never had wine before, but it tasted...strange. And it made my head feel different after a few sips so I didn't drink any more.

"Gretchen, do you think you could perform the transformation tonight,?" Elda asked, her spoon stilling in her soup. I had never seen Elda go so still. In fact, the whole room went still, I could hear an owl hoot outside in the newfound quiet. Well, everyone went quiet except for Gretchen, who was now slurping down the rest of her soup loudly.

"Oh yes," Gretchen said. "I was ready right when you walked in, Elda. But your girl looks thin, I thought she'd want some food before I stretch her soul thin and slap it into her new body." She said it so simply that I couldn't help but let my jaw drop open.

"She's kidding now too, right?" I whispered to Dimitri. He glanced down at me, shaking his head. I feared I was going to vomit up every bite of bread I had consumed.

"Okay, well, I'm going to ask for everyone who doesn't need to be in my work room to....not be, and keep outside. You could take a walk or pick herbs while the process happens, I know the screams can be tiresome to some." Gretchen got up from the table and collected bowls and plates, whistling the entire time. I stayed frozen where I was, trying to keep my breathing normal.

"I told you it was going to be painful." Elda suddenly materialized at my side. "You don't have to do this, Eira." She was staring down at me, those wise, blue eyes seemed to be cutting into my very soul.