Forty Four

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

I dreamed of my parents funeral. It had been many years ago, but the day was imprinted in my brain. I didn't think I'd ever forget that feeling of helplessness as I stood by Tellie, listening to some man from church speak about how their souls were now walking up to the gates of another life. A better life. All I had wanted to do was pounce on him. I wanted to slam my little fists into him and beg for them back. I so desperately wanted my mothers arms around me, to smell her lavender soap and feel the reassuring brush of her hand on my face. I wanted to press my ear to my fathers chest and hear the deep, vibrating rumble of his voice as he spoke. I wanted, I wanted, I wanted...and I'd never get any of those things again.

I had been nearly crying the entire time. Meanwhile Tellie had been stiff as stone beside me. She was the one who was being strong, not me. While I cried and slept for days Tellie was the one preparing the funeral and making sure I had a blanket pulled over my shoulders so I didn't freeze. She hadn't spoken much in the days before the funeral, just like she wouldn't speak much for years after. Tellie did not go to others for help when dealing with a crisis, she just stayed silent and suffered.

I had been listening to the man drone on about their passage over when I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I thought I had been so strong, thought I'd been keeping it composed like my sister. But I was nothing like my sister. I was six years old and desperate for my parents and I couldn't take it anymore. So I did what all six year old did when faced with something troubling. I ran.

My little body darted through people so easily most didn't even feel me as I moved through the throngs of people in our small village. Despite the day being black and heavy for Tellie and I, the rest of the village seemed fine. But how could they have been fine? My parents were murdered by strange people with tall ears and strange complexions. But no one was talking about that, no one remembered. They said our parents were killed by robbers. No one wanted to believe two little girls.

I ran and ran until my legs ached but I didn't stop. Children had a way of using so much energy but never tiring. I had grown up running. Running around the house, running around chasing chickens or goats. I thought if I ran fast enough, I'd run away from all the demons, all the grief. I didn't know how wrong I was.

I got to the forest though I did not stop. The forest was dangerous. Rame officials warned their people never to venture inside because of dangerous animals and poisonous leaves and berries. I didn't think of those things then. All I thought of was peace and quiet and somwhere to cry where no one could judge me.

I was sobbing then, big awful sobs that were near screams. I felt my face go hot, my throat burned. I picked up my pace, green blurring around me, when my foot suddenly caught on a root. My body went flying forward and I fell to the ground with a thump. I did not move though, I stayed there, my cheek pressed to the soft grass as I cried. I cried and cried until I saw a spider moving in the grass beside me, small and brown, and practically forced my trembling body to crawl over to a tree, far from the spider. Tellie had told me stories of spiders crawling into peoples ears and making homes there. Needless to say, I hated spiders.

I kept my back against the tree, hanging my head. I felt so alone. So sad. It felt as though a dark little cloud stayed hovering over my head, casting away any good thoughts or light, just simply pouring down on me, drenching me so thoroughly that I felt too stiff and cold to move. I had been feeling cold ever since my parents died. It was hard to explain, but it felt almost as if frost was spreading over my heart. The ice was nice though, the ice was keeping it whole and protected. As long as my heart didn't break again, I didn't care.

I pressed my forehead to my knees and wished it all to go away. I didn't know how long I had been in that position for but I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder. I picked my head up to see a boy with dark hair and gray eyes before me.