Chapter Thirty One

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

I stared down at the mark on my arm. It looked like a snake, coiling around the entirety of my forearm. When I touched the mark, it felt just a few degrees warmer than my normal, cool skin. Sable Deidre had marked me twice now. Once out of hate, the other out of...well, I didn't even know why really. As I stared out at the shifting scenery outside my window, now filled with greens and browns instead of whites and grays, I wished he had let me die.

"You're moping," I felt a nudge to my knee. "Actually the both of you are moping. I think I'm going to drown in your shared grumpiness." I glanced up at Gray, who had his arms crossed over his chest, staring at Sable and I from his opposing seat in the carriage. He was wearing fine clothes, a black tunic that was stitched with thin, bendable metal that he had somehow managed to work in between the threads. He had a crown of metal crossing his forehead, disappearing into his crop of black hair, and he was decked out in more jewelry than I had ever seen him in.

"And now I get to drown in silence. Wonderful." He slumped back against the seat, extending a hand out in front of him. He made one of the metal rings on his finger drip off and form into a little bird. I watched as the bird started to flap its little gleaming wings and fly about the carriage. It made only one circle around before a dark shadow grabbed it and hurled it out the window.

"You bastard!" Gray gasped, scrambling over to the window. He practically thrust his head outside, nearly falling, as he looked for it. I let out a snort, watching his legs scramble, bumping against the walls. Sable turned his head downward, raising a brow. He heard my snort. I pressed a hand over my mouth, sinking low into my seat.

"It's gone!" Gray said, slinking back into his seat. "Such a killjoy. The both of you, never a dull moment." He crossed his arms, letting out a hefty sigh.

"I liked the bird," I said, shrugging.

"Well it's a little too late for that now, isn't it Eira?" Gray said. I shifted in my seat, pulling at the high collar of my stiff, pale blue jacket. Gray wasn't the only one wearing finery today. Both Sable and I were forced to indulge in lace and velvet as well. I was wearing black pants with a blue jacket, that's tail went down to my ankles. My hair was pinned up halfway, and I even had makeup on my face. I had never once touched makeup before, nor had I ever thought I'd get the chance. Gray had told me I looked pretty, Sable simply nodded his approval at my appearance. But when I saw my reflection, I saw nothing but a king's soldier, a tool he was wielding into the perfect chess piece for his ultimate game of power.

"Stop fidgeting," Sable said. I stopped myself from undoing a button on my shirt that would've given me some leeway to breathe. I was wearing a corset over my shirt, in what my maid called "a fashionable way". But all it did was make me uncomfortable.

"I'm not fidgeting, I'm suffocating. Big difference," I muttered, leaning my head against the cushion as I stared out the window. I practically felt Sable's anger swell at that remark, but I kept my head firmly positioned to the side.

We were currently on route to Aurora, specifically the spring palace. The spring palace was only called the spring palace because it was always blooming with color and flowers and fun, or at least that was what Gray told me. Aurora was Hiraeths capital, the main city where everyone wanted to be. Lots of nobles lived in Aurora, along with lots of workers and children. All fae...of course. There were absolutely no half-fae in Aurora. Any half-fae spotted would be executed on sight. The thought made me sick.

Suddenly, the carriage came to a halt, jerking me forward. I would have fallen out of my seat had a broad hand not come down onto my shoulder, keeping me steady. I felt my stomach drop and cold creep up my cheeks as I glanced up at Sable. His gray eyes were steadfast on mine. He dropped his hand quickly, his fingers twitching. I could've sworn that the shadows around him grew more hectic.