Forty One

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

The note from Elda was keeping my eyes glued open. I couldn't stop thinking of the vial of poison and the dagger I hid in the wardrobe, just feet away from where I was now lying in bed. Elda had asked me to kill the king. King Gabriel, the king of power himself. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified of him. I was. Most ardently. And the thought of killing him it...it excited me. I wanted to kill him, I really did. I hadn't signed up to be a part of the Killers of Kings for nothing. And killing the source of evil itself? It sounded like I had struck the goldmine as a spy. But I would never be able to. I'd never be able to get close enough. Not to mention he had guards stationed around him always. He probably slept with guards in his room. Also, he had that wretched power. He could break my bones with half a thought. I'd never be strong enough to face him. My ice would be like blowing against a boulder and expecting it to start rolling.

I hadn't let myself think about what Elda asked me to do these past few days. The past few days had been nothing short of perfect. Sable and I...well Sable and I were making up for the time we hadn't spent together in all our lives. He was taking time out of his day for me. Not going to meetings, skipping briefings. He said he had been a diligent assassin for over two hundred years now, they should allow him a little leeway. Thinking of Sable now...it brought an excitement over me. Sable treated me like an equal, but also like I was too good to touch. The way he kissed me felt like he was savoring every touch. He held me like it was the last time everytime. And I loved it, but it also worried me because everytime could be our last time.

We were going under direct orders of the king. None of the cadre were supposed to be together, it caused our partnership complex to change. The king's rules were why Caspian and Nazira never got together. They had been "sneaking around" according to Sable, since about a hundred years ago. A hundred years of foreplay...I couldn't imagine.

Sable sighed next to me, rolling over onto his back. I glanced over at him, watching as the moonlight skittered over his face. He had fallen asleep hours ago after we had both sent each other into a coma of bliss. But regardless of what happened, it hadn't exhausted me enough. My thoughts were too loud, blaring even, for me to sleep. The wardrobe seemed to be calling out to me, begging me to just throw those murder weapons away. But...but what if I'd never see them again? It wasn't like I was exactly permitted to have weapons on me. The king didn't trust me enough. And poison was rare and I was never alone, so it wasn't like I could've gone out and just bought some. Could one even buy poison?

Sable sighed again, except this time it sounded more like a groan. Something strange embedded itself in my chest. My heart started to pound, my blood started to rush in my ears. It felt like fear. I didn't have time to contemplate it. I turned over to see his eyes were flicking under his eyelids, his brows furrowed. His hands were digging into the sheets, his muscles twitching. I barely had time to gasp before shadows exploded.

Darkness erupted over the room, absorbing every bit of light. They felt as cold as a blade's edge as they streaked over me and I gasped as one scraped against my cheek, drawing blood. I rolled over onto the floor, dropping in a heap. I kept my hands raised over my head as wind whipped around me. I felt like I was in the middle of a hurricane. I ripped my eyes open to see Sable still in bed, he looked like he was in pain. The shadows were all emanating from him, and I watched in horror as they darkened and moved.

It all suddenly made sense. "He's having a nightmare," I muttered. I bounded over to the bed, practically flinging myself onto it. I positioned myself over Sable, practically straddling him as I stared down at his sleeping face. He was twitching now, muttering something.

"Sable, wake up," I said, touching his face. His skin felt feverish. "Sable, you're having a nightmare." I shook him gently but he didn't stir. I shook him with a little more force but yet he still stayed sleeping. I yelled a bit but still nothing. The shadows were increasing now, I could barely stay upright with how strong they were whipping around me.