Chapter Forty

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

"Wow, someone's a little touch-starved, today," I muttered, reaching down for Darcy where she had been winding herself through my ankles. She purred in my hands, brushing her face against my shoulder.

I was still in my training clothes. Caspian and I had been working for hours outside, practicing our magic. Well, more like I was practicing my magic. He threw gallons upon gallons of water at me and I'd have to freeze the water before it hit me or the ground. Needless to say, there were lots of shouts from me and now shards of ice covering the cliff side Vellichor was perched on. I was pretty sure my yelps every time I got doused in water could've been heard even in the Spring Palace. I wouldn't have been surprised.

I set down Darcy to see the balcony doors were open, the curtains at the sides fluttering in the wind. I couldn't exactly describe how I knew, but I knew that Sable was outside, though I didn't see him. He must've been brooding in some shadows somewhere.

I quickly went into the bathroom, taking a shower to wipe the dirt and sweat from me before walking over to the wardrobe in search of clothes. I had been wearing training gear, dresses from Nazira, and Sable's shirts, but none of the clothing Sable had gotten me for regular wearing. I opened the wardrobe and rummaged through the items, settling on a floor-length navy blue dress that only had straps for sleeves and was light and breezy. I gaped at the revealed slits at the sides of the skirt when I put it on but then laughed. Might as well give Sable a tease.

Suddenly, as if he had heard my thoughts, I felt something wrap around my waist. I looked down to see a tendril of darkness wrapped around me. I turned to see Sable leaning on the doorframe of the balcony, his arms crossed over his chest, he was looking up at me through his lashes. I felt as if my very soul jumped in excitement at the sight of him.

"You used to blush blue in anger every time you saw me," he said gently. He had changed from what he had been wearing before. Now he was wearing a simple black button down, black pants. The chain of his necklace glinted in the light.

I walked over to him, going up on my toes to press a kiss to his pulse point. He growled deep in his throat, grabbing at my hip, as if to steady himself. "I still blush when I see you," I said, speaking against his jawline. "But now for a different reason."

"You're testing me," he said, squeezing my hip harder as I kissed down his neck, moving the collar of his shirt to get to more of him.

"You want me to stop?" I asked innocently. Suddenly, both hands were at my hips and he was whirling us around, shoving me to the wall. He grabbed my wrists and raised them above my head, keeping me pinned there. He was breathing hard, his eyes shining.

"I'm afraid if you don't stop I'll lose control," he said, his hands tightening on my wrists. "You have a way of doing that to me, Eira." He rested his forehead against mine, his skin felt feverish. "You're torturing me enough with that gods-damned dressed and if you touch me one more time I'm going to lose my fucking mind, do you understand?"

Something warm uncurled itself in my core and I pinched my lips together, nodding. "Good," he muttered. Then he was sweeping me into his arms.

"Sable!" I yelled, practically strangling him as I wrapped my arms around his neck. Wings of shadow erupted from his backside and I gaped at him. "What are you doing?"

"We're going to another one of my spots," he said, a grin on his lips as he flapped his wings and catapulted us into the air. My scream got lost in the wind as we rocketed upwards. The night air was sweet around us as it tossed my hair back and fluttered my skirts. Sable held me tight to him as he flew us over to the spring palace. At this time of night, all the windows were glowing gold, and I saw people moving behind them.