Not So Smooth Beginnings

(A/N: TYSM for reading this fic!! If you're new, I am currently working on a new and improved version of this fic where it's essentially better written, paced, and thought-out. I'd really appreciate it if you checked the new one out as well (it is out)!! But please continue reading this one and enjoy <3)

"Juleka, I told her she could be with whoever she wanted. Why does it hurt this bad?" Luka whimpered, curled up in a ball on his bed while his younger sister hugged him with her best attempt to bring comfort to the poor boy in love. He covered his face in an attempt to not get his mix of tears, sweat, and snot on his sister's clothes. 

Juleka sighed, tears welling up on her own face. She'd never seen her brother cry before, so seeing him this upset was completely uncharted territory "I don't know, Luka. It hurts to see someone you love choose someone else no matter how willing we are to let them be free. You want what'll make them happy but I don't think that magically takes the pain away." Juleka said quietly as she pet his hair. "It's not fair, but love never really is. I mean it was a challenge with me and Rose in the beginning. But you'll find someone better."

"What if I don't?" Luka sobbed, "What if she was the one and I blew it because I let her go?" he began to breathe faster, noticeably gasping for air. 

Juleka propped him up "Focus on breathing and just listen to me or you're going to have a panic attack." she said, a burst of assertiveness bursting into her voice and quickly dashing away again "Things will work out. You just have to be patient and do your best, okay?"

"Okay. I'm sorry you have to deal with this, Jules. I usually use my guitar for stuff like this but I just needed to cry." Luka said as the tears dried out, his breaths beginning to even out. 

Juleka smiled softly and hugged her brother tight "It's not a problem, you're always there for everyone else you deserve a shoulder to cry on every once in a while. Now, let's go get some ice cream."

On the same night, about a hundred miles away, there was a person receiving news that would throw their life onto a completely new path and result in the intertwining of two fates that otherwise never would have crossed. 

'(Y/N), your parents both passed away in a car wreck a few hours ago. Your uncle is driving up now to help you pack and come live with us in Paris. I hope something here will give you something to look forward to even with all of this'  the text message from their grandfather read.

(Y/N)'s eyes filled with shock as they dropped their phone and ran into their parents' room, looking at all of the pictures and seeing their bed that would never be filled by their warm and loving cuddle sessions, no more movie nights after school is out for the week, no more late-night talks with dad in his office while he worked late again. Most importantly, no more family. They were never going to see them get their first boyfriend, graduate high school, get married, get a job, or anything else their mom would go on and on about. It was amazing how fast someone's world could shatter.

(Y/N) knew their uncle wouldn't get there for a few hours so they dove into their parents' bed and buried themselves under the covers, burning their scent into their memory before they leave as warm tears fell feverishly down their cheeks and ran down their neck into the collar of their shirt. The chirping of the crickets and light of the moon pouring into the window were the only things (Y/N) could focus on without bursting into even more of a panic. As the tears fell, (Y/N) slipped into a cold and still slumber.

Light shaking was the first thing to signal (Y/N) to wake up, followed by their uncle's warm voice "Oh honey, I'm so sorry. Come here" He whispered, (Y/N) quickly taking the opportunity to hug him "I can't even imagine how you're feeling right now." he whispered, petting their hair in an attempt to soothe the once again sobbing teen. 

Uncle Owen was only a few years older than (Y/N), he was twenty-two while (Y/N)'s mom was closer to her mid-thirties. He was the closest (Y/N) ever really had to a sibling so it made sense why they sent him to get (Y/N).

"We can stay here as long as we need before we start packing, okay? Just let it all out." He murmured, encouraging them to take the time they needed to pull themselves together. 

(Y/N) nodded as tears continued rushing down their face, soaking Owen's shirt. 

After what felt like an eternity, the two found themselves in (Y/N)'s room packing everything into boxes and talking about everything but the elephant in the room, (Y/N) felt it was too soon to ask about the funeral, and uncle Owen didn't want to push the topic. So, they talked about (Y/N)'s new school and the mysterious Ladybug and Chat Noir. 

"Are they really students?" (Y/N) asked with a puzzled look on their face as they pulled various sketchbooks and novels off the shelves and put them in the box behind them. 

Owen laughed, his eyes showing relief for the welcome distraction "Yeah, could you imagine saving Paris every day, hiding your identity, and going to classes? I don't know how they could manage all of that and still want to be heroes."

(Y/N) nodded "I hear you. Hey, maybe I'll end up being a superhero," they said with a joking smile

"Maybe. Hey, the moving van should be here in the morning." Owen said before glancing at his watch "And it's getting late. Have you eaten?"

"No," (Y/N) said, suddenly looking sad again "Mom and dad were going to bring dinner back with them." 

Owen looked at (Y/N) sympathetically, hugging them quickly as he repressed his own tears "We will order whatever you want, after the hell of a night you've had you need it." 

(Y/N) nodded, "Can we get all of the comfort food classics?"

Owen nodded enthusiastically "You are a genius. of course." he cheered as he whipped out his cell phone. 

The moving truck was packed, the house was still pretty full. (Y/N) was going to officially inherit it when they turned eighteen but until then, (Y/N)'s grandparents were going to be taking care of it. Owen was sitting in the driver's seat with (Y/N) next to him, their headphones in as they drove away from the house that early autumn morning. (Y/N) actually enjoyed being the rumble of the truck as it bumped down the road, they stared out the windows and watched the end of the sunrise, enjoying the light pinks and oranges the sky was and seeing the colors against the clouds in front of them.

The streets got busier and busier as they got closer and closer to Paris. (Y/N)'s grandparents were successful lawyers, though, so (Y/N) knew the drive would be worth it with whatever house they'd end up living in. Owen talked adamantly about how (Y/N) would be living in the attic but it was practically a fully furnished apartment. (Y/N) would have their own space but still have the parental guidance and rules like other kids. They even made a small music and art studio for (Y/N) as they figured it would be a great coping mechanism for them through everything. (Y/N) smiled slightly, feeling strangely happy that their family was so happy to have them there. 

"Maybe this will end up being nice, I just wish mom and dad were here to do it with me." (Y/N) sighed as they pulled up to the elegant manor.