Chapter Two

Her heart started beating out of control, faster and faster. This was her dream. The menacing presence was the same.

 It was near the park. She turned and ran towards the alley. There were innocent people waiting at the bus stop.

Her breath started coming out in huffs as she tried to run as fast as she could in the heeled boots. Fear was all she could think about. She didn't want that thing to catch her and she couldn't use her gifts in the open and turn into a science experiment or a YouTube sensation.

The alley was narrow and long. She ran towards the end and saw that there was another alley to the left. Her hair started escaping her ponytail. She felt the presence closing in...

Her powers were starting to rise but she knew she had no chance against this creature. She was desperate and running out of time.

Her mind began to scream "HELP ME! PLEASE! HELP ME!"

.......

Isaac's temper was rising.

He had been chasing this Fallen for a week and he kept getting away. He had smelt him in this park before and knew it was an ideal place for the Fallen to catch an unaware human. There were many paths and lots of bushes and trees. Isaac wanted to get this over with and move on. He didn't enjoy the chase nor what followed. It was his job and he was efficient. Nothing more.

Isaac looked around with his sharp brown eyes and looked for any telltale signs his quarry had been here. He smelt something else on the air. It was distant and subtle. He liked it. Maybe a perfume or something?

He saw some footprints on the path that seemed heavier than the usual tracks left by runners. He bent down to look.

Yes! He was on the right track. He was near the edge of the park. He could see a road and apartment buildings lined up one after another. He continued to look around. He felt he had gone towards that area.

Suddenly his head felt like it was splitting in two. He cried out and dropped to one knee. He grabbed his head in pain.

"HELP ME! PLEASE! HELP ME!"

Isaac whipped around in confusion. He heard a woman screaming for help but no one was within distance of him. He ran towards the road. He saw a small group at a nearby bus stop but all seemed calm.

He took a deep breath and then it hit him. That same delicate scent was strong. It washed over him completely and his senses heightened even more. He also could smell the Fallen. He was here. Isaac saw the alley in front of him and took off in blurring speed. He smelt blood already.

He was too late!

........

Emmaline was pushed from behind right into the side of the building. She screamed as she felt her shoulder and face hit the brick. Her vision went black momentarily but was quickly brought back into focus when she heard him yell "You are mine now!"

The creature grabbed her and slammed her to the other side. He was strong. Inhumanely strong. She felt blood running down her head.

"Bleeding already little Witch? You are an easy one. I was planning on more sport." The creature smiled and grabbed her tight against him. His nostrils flared and he leaned down with his tongue already out to lick at her head.

Emmaline's instincts finally decided to kick in. She gathered her power and pushed at his chest with a painful yell. He flew back against the wall leaving cracks everywhere. Emmaline had barely caught her breath before he was upon her again. This time her head slammed to the ground and she saw stars.