Chapter 10

Isaac cleared his throat, trying to distract himself from Emmaline's presence. She looked at him, and he gestured for her to take a seat.

"You have not been contacted by the witches have you?" He asked as she sat down.

"No. I thought they would have at least called or something. But nothing...why?" Emmaline looked at Isaac with apprehension. "What is going on?"

"I don't have an answer to any of it really." He sighed, frustrated as well. "We were following you. I saw them watching your employment and again at your residence tonight."

He began pacing, "Why wait? Why are they watching you? What does it mean?"

His concentration was broken as Emmaline spoke up. "What laws? Why did they attack us?" She frowned.

The men exchanged glances. "Well spit it out!" She huffed, feeling ignorant of the situation at hand.

Isaac hesitated but finally answered after a moment. "There are two main laws that all of the gifted must follow. We don't show our talents to the public...and We do not comingle the bloodlines." He looked at Emmaline with sadness.

Emmaline stood up, outraged. "What right do they have to control my life?! I don't even know these people!" Her magic began to tingle under her skin as her anger rose. "They attacked us! Like criminals!"

Isaac was at her side immediately, closing the distance. "Calm your mind. You have no enemies here." He ran his hand down her arm slowly, intimate and soothing all at once.

She closed her eyes at the feeling of his hand on her arm. Anger softened to warmth. She looked up at him with wariness. "What now?"

"Now I speak with Corbin. He is our presence on the Coalition. He will no doubt be notified of tonight's events shortly. I prefer to face the repercussions head on."

"I will go as well to cooberate your story." Emmaline stepped away a small fraction, turning to look for her things.

Isaac turned her slowly. "No. I will take John. You will not be welcomed at this time. Let me gather the necessary information and I will return." He raised his hand as she began to interject. "Please, stay here with Nathaniel. He can watch over you. It will not help our cause to have the two of us standing side by side making declarations. Better to be cautious then to present an image of outright defiance. "

"Fine. I guess you are right. I don't like sitting on the sidelines though like some damsel." She reached for his arm, repeating his earlier actions. "Don't do anything stupid." She sighed, leaning in for his embrace.

Isaac smiled to himself and returned her comfort. It had been days only and already he could feel himself craving her touch; her warmth. They fit together as if they had always been. He dared to let his hopes that she was his mate start to kindle. He kissed her chastly on the head, aware they had a rather enthralled audience.

Clearing his throat, he stepped back and motioned for John to follow. Just like that they were gone out the door and out to fight this new battle...

......

"You have been quiet all this way." Isaac looked over at John as they parked in the garage of the Coalition. "Surely you have thoughts on this matter?"

John looked over, taking his time to gather his thoughts. "I see it between you. Your bond. It is both tangible and powerful. Are you ready for the war this could ignite?" He looked out the window towards the entrance. "They will fear this. Especially coming from you..." He trailed off.

Isaac nodded. "I meant what I said. I will not cower and hide. I meet my actions and their repercussions head on. My only hope is that they allow me to speak for myself."

In agreement, they exited the vehicle and started up the stairs.

Isaac was stopped short by none other than Corbin in the lobby. His stance hard and unyielding.

"Your home was being monitored." He said simply. "The other members of the Coalition are here as well, waiting in the court. You have saved us much trouble, coming here willingly." He turned to the side, his arm held out towards the hall. ""Do you continue willingly or will I need to call for assistance?"

Isaac's eyebrow lifted. "I have come of my own volition. Force is unnecessary." Corbin smiled a small smile and gestured for them to follow.

The court was located at the end of the hall. It held 3 chairs up on a diasis with no adornments. The room was sparse but for a few chairs lined up along the walls and medieval chains fastened to the floor in the middle. Three tapestries lined the walls depicting each of the species and their history. Two of the chairs were already filled as Corbin went to seat himself in the third empty chair. Around the room were several members of each species, here to pay witness and pass on his crimes to others of their kind.

Isaac walked with purpose to the center of the room. He was unashamed of his actions and vowed to speak his truth. A hush fell over the crowd as several people recognized Isaac. He was a legend in their world, not just by his people's standards.

Corbin rose to speak. "We come together at this hour to pass judgement on one of our own. He has committed a most grave transgression and must answer for his actions." He regarded the room coldly, speaking matter of fact. "Each race is represented here today. He motioned towards the middle seat and a man stood up.

"Thomas, a witch, bears witness to this testimony." Corbin announced formally. The man screamed power and opulence. He bowed his head to the crowd and took his seat once again.

"Paulo, a demon, also bears witness to this testimony." Corbin acknowledged once again as the next man stood. He was tall and had long hair. He too bowed his head and sat down. He also nodded his head towards Issac, acknowledging his presence as well.

"I, Corbin, a Revenant, also bear witness to this testimony." Corbin sat down once again and turned towards Thomas.

"This coalition has received word that you have broken our laws." Thomas paused, contempt evident in his voice. "Have you engaged in intimate acts with a witch?"

Isaac returned his look coolly. "Yes. I have kissed a witch." The crowd gasped and began speaking in hushed tones at his admission.

"And the witch reciprocated your advances? No force was used correct?" Thomas sneered.

Isaac shook his head. "No. I did not engage in force to woo her."

"Outrageous!" Thomas spat. "You show no remorse whatsoever! I petition for the ultimate punishment!"

The crowd erupted in both yells of dismay and bloodthirst.

Paulo held up his hands for silence. Once the crowd settled he began, "Do you have anything more to say on this matter? Any defense you would add?" He looked at Isaac with a question in his eyes.

Isaac nodded. He turned towards both the crowd and the heads of each race. "Yes I have broken one of our laws. I do not deny this." He paused and turned back towards the diasis. He took a deep breath as he prepared himself for the storm that was to come, "I met this witch, while saving her life from one of the Fallen. She knows only what I have been able to explain to her of our world. She is untrained and without a coven." The witches in the group gasped. "There is a bond between us. The likes of which I have yet to know. I believe her to be...my mate..."