Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Emmaline wasn't laughing anymore. The extent of everything happening was starting to weigh on her.

"This is nuts!" She closed her eyes and had her head back. After a few moments she opened them back up and looked at Isaac. "So what happens now?"

Isaac regarded her thoughtfully. She was taking this all in the best she could. He knew it was alot to digest in a matter of minutes. "I have to file my report on what happened the other night and then the witches will most likely want to bring you into the fold. I expect they will want to meet you shortly and examine your magic."

Emmaline was nervous. She had been alone for years now. It would be nice to meet others that could relate to her but she felt she was in over her head. Isaac was the first person she had met that was different as well and she wanted to get to know him. He seemed to be honest and forthcoming with information.

"Are they...are they...welcoming to new people?"

"They will most likely be intimidating at first. It is the way of all of our species. We have been ostracized for ages." He sighed. "I have seen good and bad in all of our species. You are one of their own." He looked at her intently. "I have seen and felt your magic. It is very strong. There are few Intuitives. Most of the others you meet will be Casters. Expect a little jealousy."

Emmaline sighed as well. " My initial excitement is waning. I feel like a science experiment." She looked away, saddened by the realization.

Isaac stood and came towards the side of the bed. Her pulse began to pick up at his proximity. Something about his presence made her heated. He was attractive but dangerous. She had seen him in action. He hadn't hesitated to kill her attacker. He didn't blink an eye about taking another life. And yet...She still felt an attraction.

Isaac heard her heart speed up as he neared. He didn't know if it was from fear or something else. She looked so vulnerable, damaged from her ordeal. He wasn't making things easier on her either. He couldn't bring himself to lie to her. The witches wanted power above all else and she had it. He hoped they would be gentle with her but wanted to prepare her for any outcome.

She had several scrapes and bruises on her face and arms. She was beautiful nonetheless. She had wavy brown hair and eyes. Her lips were plump and had an enticing mauve color. He felt a connection to her already. He didn't know why. He wasn't overly fond of witches. He meant what he said. He had seen both bad and good, but their attraction to power was a deterrent. She was so innocent of their world. He hated to sully that.

"How did you call for me like that?" He asked with a hushed voice.

Emmaline was confused. "What do you mean, call You? I had no idea who You were before today."

Isaac stared at her intently. "I was tracking the fallen when I heard you calling for help in my head."

She was shocked. She remembered screaming for help in her mind but had no idea anyone had heard her. It wasn't intentional. "Are you psychic or something? Is that a real thing as well?"

"No it isn't a trait I have heard of among any of us." He started walking towards the end of the bed, collecting his thoughts. He turned back towards her. "I will not mention it in my report."

Emmaline stared back and nodded in agreement. "I will have enough to contend with as it is. Thank you." What did that mean? Why was she able to call for him like that? Was she even more of a freak than she thought?

Isaac started walking towards the door but stopped and turned. "Will you be released from here soon?"

"Hopefully. The doctor said I will need to stay here until tomorrow for monitoring and then I should be released if everything is ok." She was sad to see him go. Why?

"I will let them know in my report so you can have a short reprieve before they contact you. Would you like me to escort you home at that time?" He spoke low.

Her breath caught. He didn't seem to want to leave her either. Was she imagining it? "Yes. I would like that. I mean...if you aren't busy or anything?"

Isaac shook his head no. He quickly walked back  towards her bed and took a notepad and pen off the nearby table. He quickly wrote down his phone number. "Here. You may call upon me when ready." He stood still for a moment. He lowered his head, "I will wait for your call Mrs. Emmaline.".

"Miss." She looked up at him, correcting him automatically. They both gave a small smile. He turned and strode out of the room.

Emmaline released a large breath and shook her in amazement. What the hell was happening? She was flirting with a vampire and now she was apparently a witch. Twilight zone here she comes...

.......

Isaac arrived back at home, noting both of his companions were out. He expected they would be back shortly to question him further. Nathaniel was none to pleased when he learned Isaac was going to the hospital to see Emmaline. John, as usual, stayed silent on the matter.

He went straight to his office and began his work. He felt off since leaving Emmaline. He would be lying if he said there wasn't something between them. She was intriguing yes, but it wasn't just the situation and her innocence that drew his interest. She had taken the information well and didn't show fear of him. She was open minded and unprejudiced. She was charming as well. He smiled as he typed. He enjoyed her reactions.

His mind was not on the report. It was on her. He leaned back in the chair and closed his eyes. What was it about her? He had made friends with all of the species but this was more.

Attraction. Desire.

He dropped his head into his hands and ran his hands over his face. It didn't matter really. Friends were one thing, lovers was another matter altogether. It was forbidden.

No he was going to finish his report, speak with Corbin and take her home. He had tied up all loose ends and had the answers he was looking for. Mostly.

He went back to his work and refused to dwell on his feelings about an impossible situation.

Hours later, he heard both Nathaniel and John arrive. He looked up from his notes as they came inside.

"Well, did you meet with her?" Nathaniel asked, blunt as ever.

Isaac nodded. "Yes. She was unaware of our world as a whole. I relayed the facts and let her know that I would be sending in my report to the coalition. I also offered to take her home after her hospital stay."

Nathaniel's eyes widened. "How is that even possible?! How is she unaware?!"

Isaac set his pen down. "I didn't ask for her life's history. I believed her when she told me. Her bodily responses didn't indicate an untruth, and neither did her voice."

John sat down quietly and looked intently at Isaac. "Are you interested in her more than tying up loose ends?" His brow raised in speculation.

Nothing escaped John. He and Isaac had been friends for too many years. "My interest in her is of no consequence. Once I speak to Corbin,I imagine the witches will descend." Isaac tried to speak like it was a matter of fact. Logical, without feeling.

"Good. Finish this and move on to the next task." Nathaniel spoke with confidence as if the matter was settled.

Is that all he had? Waiting for someone else to break the rules so he could hunt them down? Isaac lowered his eyes. Perhaps it was time for him to relinquish his role and take note of what his companions were doing. He had long forgotten what it was to be bound to life rather than death. He looked back up. "I need to finish this and then perhaps we can see the city."

Nathaniel laughed. "See the city? You have lived in this city for nearly 50 years.  Have you not taken notice of It?" He laughed again. "We will go out yes, but not to see the sights. We are not tourists old man."

Isaac and John both smiled as well. Nathaniel's thirst for life and upbeat attitude would allow for an adventurous eternity. John agreed. They left Isaac to finish his notes.

His mind strayed once again to Emmaline but he shook it off. He would enjoy his brethren tonight, not pine over a witch.