Chapter 6

Emmaline fiddled with the piece of paper Isaac had left. She was to be released in a few hours and needed to arrange for a ride home. He had offered but was it wise to become indebted to him further?

She wanted to see him again though...

Throwing caution to the wind, she reached for the phone by the bed and dialed his number.

"Isaac here." He answered briskly. She hesitated. Maybe this wasn't a good idea...

"Emmaline?" His voice softened. She swallowed. No time to chicken out now. "Uh hi. Yeah this is Emmaline," she fiddled with the note. "If you aren't busy and if the offer still stands, I am going to be released shortly."

"Yes of course. What time? Should I meet you in your rooms or wait outside?" Isaac answered.

They ironed out the details and ended the call. Emmaline was nervous to see him again. Nervous but excited too. Of course she would be attracted to a damn vampire instead of some normal guy. She sighed with annoyance.

Hours later she finished collecting her paperwork. They had given her clothes back and her wristlet with her personal items had survived the attack. Her phone was dead. She cleaned up the best she could considering her clothes were in rough shape.

It was time to head down. They made her sit in a wheelchair although she was more than capable of walking herself down.

The nurse wheeled her down and offered to wait with her. She refused the offer politely and took a seat at a bench outside the hospital doors. She waited just a few minutes before a shiny black car pulled up. She was no expert on vehicles but knew it was a nice car. It wasn't a sports car or anything but sleek.

Isaac stepped out and came around to the passenger door as she approached. "Good afternoon. Please let me get the door."

"Good afternoon Isaac." She smiled at his formal behavior. Then shock registered. "Oh my God!!! Afternoon!! I didn't even think about the sun!" She glanced frantically around, waiting for him to burst into flames.

He laughed loudly and wiped at his eyes. Her outburst was adorable. "No need to worry." He smiled as she settled into the car. "I am afraid that is just one of many untruths regarding our kind. I can be out in the sun the same as any other."

He went to his side and got in the car. She buckled her seatbelt and turned towards him as he started to drive off. He looked sideways and smirked. "No flames. No sparkles. Just me."

She flushed in embarrassment. How was she supposed to know?! "So garlic? Stakes? Mirrors?" She asked curiously. She didn't want to make any more assumptions.

His eyes remained on the road but she could tell he was amused. "We are not so different than the average human. There has been little research, but we actually believe the species are all mutations of the original human. The Revenant are different from the other species in that our bodies are just more efficient than yours. We eat and sleep, we just don't need as much or as often. I am not aware of any allergies or illnesses that affect our kind. We are faster and stronger but we have limitations as well."

His face grew more serious. "We do require blood. That part is true. Though Hollywood has propagated untruths there as well. Most of the Revenant don't drink blood from humans. It is not in our best interest as a whole."

Emmaline nodded for him to continue. She was fascinated.

He went on per her acceptance. "We have no psychic powers or "glamour" as popular culture suggests. Humans are aware if we take blood from them. There have always been humans willing to feed us in the hopes they can become one of us. Luckily few or none believe them if they choose to spread our stories. Some feed off unconscious humans but that is also difficult as well. All in all, animal blood or blood from banks is much easier to attain."

"Do you want it all the time? Do humans look like walking snacks?" She half-joked, kind of afraid of the answer.

Isaac shook his head. "No not at all. We aren't ravenous monsters. I need blood once a week or so depending on how much energy I expend. It is a part of our life but not our focus."

Emmaline was secretly relieved. She didn't relish the idea of getting snacked on again.  She noticed they were close to her house already.

"I am guessing you have all of my information huh?" She cocked her head as they pulled alongside her apartment building. "No secrets from you I guess."

He turned towards her with a glint in his eyes. "I wouldn't say that. I am sure there is more I can discover about you." He spoke with innuendo.

She was taken back. Had he just flirted with Her? He stepped out quickly before she could respond. He opened her door before she could blink. She tried to hide how flustered she was as she stepped from the car. He closed the door, close to her still. Neither of them moved. She felt a warmth spread through her body. It wasn't her magic though.

It was him. His proximity was eliciting a quick response.

He felt it too. She could tell he was affected as well. His eyes looked down on her body, hooded.

He broke first. Clearing his throat, he stepped back. "I am sending in my report after I take my leave."

Emmaline inwardly shook her head, trying to clear it. "Ok. Um what now?"

"Truthfully I am unsure. This is a unique situation. Most witches keep track of their own. I have yet to come across one outside of their society." He regarded her seriously. "I believe they will contact you, most likely in person, sooner rather than later."

She could tell her time with him was over. He was eluding to it. She began to walk towards the entrance. At the door she turned and smiled. "Thank you for everything. All of this" she gestured.

He smiled, already back to his car door. "You are most welcome." His smile faltered and he regarded her intently. "Keep your wits about you. This world is not for the weak or gullible. You don't have to jump at their commands." His face was tight and serious.

She knew he was speaking to her in truth. He wasn't trying to frighten her. She still felt a chill on her arms. What was she walking into? "I will." She waved and headed inside, her thoughts swirling.

Was it just because he was another species? He didn't trust witches it seemed. He had been understanding with her though. The elevator was down for maintenance so she went up the 3 flights of stairs to her floor.

Her small quaint apartment was silent. She looked around as she put her things down on the small table by the door. Everything was the  same and yet it was different. She turned on the tv to a random channel for background noise. Looking down at her dirty and damaged clothes, she decided first thing was to clean up.

........

Isaac drove on autopilot to the Coalition office. She was vulnerable and he felt at odds with what he needed to do. He was throwing her to the wolves. She couldn't stay hidden forever but he didn't want to be a part of sullying her. He wouldn't see her again most likely. His attraction to her was unnatural. He couldn't shake his thoughts.

Sooner than he liked, he was turning into the parking garage. He stepped out and nodded to the attendant.

"Anything to drop off Mr. Isaac?" The attendant asked, polite as ever.

He held up his file. "Just paperwork for now." The attendant nodded as Isaac stepped inside and up the stairs.

"Good afternoon Mr. Isaac." The receptionist chirped enthusiastically. "Meeting with Mr. Corbin?" Isaac nodded. She looked at her computer and papers. "If you will wait here, I will let him know." She began dialing the line.

Isaac sat down. Everything was polished to gleam. It was stark and gave nothing away as to what this building held. An unsuspecting human wandering in would know nothing. It would look like any cold business office. They even had relevant magazines laying out on the table. He smirked. Always must keep up appearances. He let his thoughts wander.

After a time, he was interrupted. "He is ready now." Isaac headed towards the door, dreading each step...