Chapter Four

Chapter 4

"I was attacked." She answered honestly. "A man came at me and I ran down the alley trying to escape him. He caught me and slammed me against the building and ground. I tried to fight back but he was stronger than me." She paused. "I guess I blacked out during??"

The Dr nodded as she wrote it all down. You have a concussion, some minor scrapes and bruises and an arm injury." She motioned to the bandaged arm. "Do you know what happened There?"

Emmaline looked down at her arm and tried her best to convey confusion. "No...I have no clue...Is it broken or something? It hurts quite a bit."

The Dr looked at her for a few moments. "Your arm was badly damaged. It almost looks like something tore into you. You lost quite a bit of blood. We treated you with antibiotics, fluids and of course blood." She placed more notes in her chart, businesslike and professional. " You have been asleep for about 14 hours. We are going to finish your transfusion, continue monitoring you for at least one more night and then we will release you if we see no further treatment is needed. Is that ok with You?"

Emmaline nodded. The doctor nodded as well and closed her notebook. "I will have a nurse bring you some food and pain medication shortly. Please try to rest and don't move your arm while the transfusion is being completed." She turned towards the door but stopped short. "Also the police will be coming shortly as well to take your statement and ask you some questions."

Emmaline expected as much and nodded. She laid her head back and closed her eyes.

Hours passed, and she nodded off and on. The pain medications the nurse gave her helped tremendously. Her eyes snapped open when the nurse came back in. "You have a visitor waiting, do you feel like socializing?" Emmaline was curious who might be visiting her. The police had already collected her statement earlier. "Uh that is fine. Sure." The nurse turned and walked back out.

Emmaline tried to sit herself up but was struggling. "Do you require assistance?"

Emmaline's head snapped up and her heart rate immediately started racing. The man that had saved her was here!

He held his hands out slowly. "I mean you no harm. I see you struggling and can help you if you wish."

Emmaline's breath huffed out with her efforts. "Yes please."

Isaac strode over and gently lifted her to a sitting position, careful of her arm and iv. He stepped away quickly and gave her some space. He saw a chair nearby and sat down.

Silence stretched between them.

Emmaline took a moment to finally get a decent look at him. He was just under 6ft she guessed. He had black hair and dark brown eyes.  He was wearing a white button t-shirt and black sports coat. He wore jeans and simple black shoes. His hair was haphazard as if he cared less about his appearance. He was athletic and muscled but not bulky at all. He was regarding her just as seriously.

"Do you know who I am?" He finally asked.

"You saved me from the...the...thing." Emmaline finished lamely. He nodded. "What the hell was He? Who are you and how did you find me?" She rushed out.

He stared for a few moments again. He crossed his legs and uncrossed them, obviously struggling to answer her questions. "Firstly, my name is Isaac. I know your name is Emmaline." Her brow knotted. He looked apologetic, "I was able to find your information so I could find and speak with you."

"How did you find my information? I know you weren't there when the police arrived. They didn't mention that anyone else was there." She looked at him warily.