Chapter seven

Isaac stepped inside and waited for Corbin to acknowledge him. Corbin looked up from his paperwork and gestured for him to come inside.

Placing the file on Corbin's desk, he stepped back and took a seat. "My report on my last task." Corbin nodded and opened the document, noticing it was thicker than normal right away.

He started scanning the document and his brows furrowed further. Tension began to fill the air. He looked up at Isaac midway, anger evident in his features. "It would seem you were not forthcoming with information on our last meeting."

Isaac didn't let Corbin's anger affect him. He answered him honestly, "I needed to gather all the details before I relayed the information. More research was needed and as you can see from my notes, I accomplished that."

Corbin frowned at Isaac's blase' attitude. "Regardless if you wanted to investigate further, you didn't indicate anything abnormal had occurred. You deliberately left me in the dark."

"That was not my intent..." Isaac began.

"INTENT IS IRREVALANT!" Corbin slammed his fist down, causing small cracks in his glass desk. He gathered his breath and his anger. "This information is needed if we are to stay ahead of the others."

"I was not aware we were at war with anyone." Isaac said, his own anger leaking through. "Regardless, the information is yours now to do with what you wish."

Corbin settled back in his chair, the report open in his hands. Displays of anger were useless with Isaac. He didn't fear Corbin like others did. "You noted the Fallen's strength and his age." He paused and looked up. "It was unusual....Ideas?"

Isaac frowned remembering. "No. That unfortunately eludes me. It could have been an anomaly but it was worth notating. I would remain alert for further instances if I were you."

Corbin nodded in agreement. Isaac was not one to overdramatize the situation. He had been a hunter for many years and was a very capable tracker. Corbin would keep his eyes and ears open. Centuries separated them, but Corbin knew Isaac was efficient, even though he was the younger of the two.

"And the witch..." Corbin started. Isaac immediately tensed. " That is another matter altogether. Interesting...I will speak with Thomas about this."

Neither man held any love for Thomas. He was a powerful witch and on the Coalition. He was ruthless and determined.

Isaac stood to take his leave. "Anything else you require of me?"

Corbin's head cocked, eyes searching. "Is there?" Isaac frowned. Corbin paused then added, "You are in a hurry to leave. This situation has affected you. Why?" He scowled.

"I have given the information requested. I don't see a need for social commentary."

Corbin's anger rose again at being dismissed. He rose from his chair slowly and came around the desk close to Isaac. "Careful of your tone. You and I have had no conflict these many years. Do not start one now." He said threatening.

He was on edge, he knew. Corbin and he had never crossed each other. There was no need. He sighed, acknowledging his attitude. "I meant no offense. I am not myself."

Corbin's resolve faltered. Although they were not considered friends or close, Isaac had never misspoke. He had always treated him with the respect his position deserved. Had he any ambitions, their roles would be reversed. Something was bothering Isaac, a change was upon him.

After a few moments, Isaac looked away towards the window. "It may be time for me to relinquish my role." He looked back at Corbin, serious and thoughtful. "I need to remember what it is to live in this world."

Corbin was surprised by his admission. What had brought on this change? He stepped away and sat back behind his desk, thinking about Isaac's admission. It was true, he had been doing it longer than most. It was no easy task to hunt and kill your own kind. Corbin sighed. "I will think on this matter. I will need to arrange for a replacement. Is this permanent?"

Isaac looked down and up, considering. "I am unsure. I understand that my service may be needed in the meantime."

Corbin nodded his agreement. "Very well. I will keep you updated on the progress."

Isaac thanked him and made his exit. He barely acknowledged the receptionist or attendant. He was troubled. His thoughts on Emmaline again. She was under his skin. He wanted to see her again. His emotions were unfamiliar to him. He had been with others in the past, but it  had been a daliance at best. He was dedicated to his work. No one had caught his interest. Why Her? Why this witch he could not have? He was frustrated. He needed to distract himself. Nathaniel or John would be able to help. Hopefully...

......

Emmaline had stayed in the shower till the water ran out. Her mind running all over the place. Now that she was alone, the reality was sinking in. Everything around her was changing so quickly. She sighed. One thing at a time. She needed to call her job and explain why she had missed work for the last two days.

Her boss had understood, thank goodness. She would need the documentation to cooberate her story, but was going to allow her to use her sick days for the time she had missed. She would be returning to work tomorrow as scheduled.

She worked for a bookkeeping company. It was boring but a nice steady job. She was off all the major holidays and weekends too. She needed to call Shelby as well. She had dozens of missed calls from her.

"What the hell happened to You?!" She shrieked immediately. "You never called and then you didn't show up at work. I thought you were dead in a ditch somewhere!" Emmaline sighed and explained the quick and easy version.

Before she knew it, it was time for bed. Work started early at 7am. She settled into bed but couldn't stop thinking about everything. Well not everything, she acknowledged. She couldn't get her mind off of Isaac.

She tried to fall asleep but her mind was on him. She remembered him fighting, his actions swift and decisive. He was strong. Her body warmed thinking about his eyes. She fell asleep thinking about him.

.....

The rest of the week passed quickly. She got back into the swing of her normal mundane life. No one had contacted her and Isaac was gone. Maybe no one would come for Her? She was saddened he had dropped contact with her but didn't want to call him. She wasn't desperate!

She was putting away her things at work Friday evening when Shelby and the other girls came over to her desk. She knew what they wanted. They had been talking about that darn club all week. Shelby has regaled them with her stories of all the hot guys she had met. She had gotten 3 numbers.

"Are you sure you won't go? I can pick you up. Even Megan is going!" Shelby wiggled her eyebrows.

"Hey! Just because I am getting married soon doesn't mean I am dead!" Megan laughed.

Emmaline considered it. She loved music and dancing but the whole club scene wasn't for her. Plus considering she had nearly died on her way there last time....She sighed. She couldn't avoid this forever. If it wasn't this one, then it would be another. She might as well rip of the bandaid. She groaned. "Alright fine! As long as you pick me up though." The girls squealed in delight.

She sighed. Here we go again.

Shelby was right on time. Damn. Emmaline was wearing a simple black tight tank and olive green maxi skirt with a high slit. She wore a long necklace and her hair was in a half up/down fashion with simple dangle earrings. She finished the look with simple black stilleto heels. She looked practically dull next to Shelby. She was wearing a tight sparkly dress you could see from a mile away. She stopped right outside the car and looked around. She shivered.

It felt like someone was staring at her. No one  on the street was paying attention. She felt a tingle under skin. Her power was reacting to something. She shivered again and jumped into the car. She hoped it wasn't one of the Revenant again....