~ 1 ~

The cup fell from his hold, slipping from his fingers. No other sound besides the thumping of the cup on the carpeted floor could be heard in the otherwise bizarrely quiet room, the water sipping into the fabric.

Ah. He had told his maids and servants to leave him alone for the night. He ordered them to leave him be in the name 'sadness' and 'self-consolation' as the Emperor had just chosen his Empress today. Sadly, the Empress he chose wasn't him. 

Everyone in the palace had just realized that the Emperor and his Empress was simply using him, tricking him and baiting him of a promise that was doomed to never have been fulfilled.

Tricks on them, Yu Yan had thought previously. He had never liked that impulsive little bratt that sat atop all the heads of the people. He was the only son of the mighty General, who controlled half the forces in the whole kingdom. Sadly, the General had died at the frontlines, and what was left of his protection was a promise from his Majesty to marry his only son; a ger. 

The General knew that his death would trigger hardships for Yu Yan, and so he wanted to prove his loyalty to the throne and at the same time, wanted to provide a way for Yu Yan to live peacefully. But the greatest tragedy happened when the General trusted the wrongly. As the General died at the frontlines, protecting his people from invaders, the Emperor lie comfortably at the different beds of his harem at night.

Fortunately, Yu Yan had inherited the General's might, if not mightier. From every traditional weapon, to the art of war, to flower arrangement, to any musical instrument he can get his hands on; Yu Yan was extremely talented everything, except for medicine or apothecary, to which he wanted to get his hands on. Regrettably, all doctors needed take an exam for a license, but all ladies of the harem were not allowed to go outside of the palace unless with the Emperor's permission.

The only thing that had ever hindered Yu Yan's way was his gender. His father never blocked him from learning anything as long as it never obstructed his bridal classes. Yu Yan was the pride of his father. Even when his mother had died at child-birth, Yu Yan had never felt lacking of love because of his father, that though may look tough and unapproachable, inside he is the softest persimmon. He swore to never settle for less and live a free and undeterred life.

And yet, here he is. Poisoned and dying after drinking a cup of water he didn't think twice to drink. 

Looking back, didn't that sole cup on the bedside table look oddly suspicious? Why did he not think that? 

With his mind occupied about his grand escape and long-awaited freedom, his usual wariness was halved. As he laid there, glaring at the cup a few feet away, he mourned. He planned everything for such a long, long time. He patiently waited for his schemes to come into fruition, despite the hardships inside the palace walls—everything was for the goal of escaping!

And yet...and yet! Yu Yan knew he was dying, but he was very unwilling.

But though he was unwilling, death still came. Closing his eyes, the darkness came.

Hm? But what's this? It isn't the end? He's not dead yet?

Yu Yan blinked and with wide eyes, welcomed the sight of a million books neatly placed on tall ethereal looking shelves that lined an endless hall way. He got up from where he was laying down. 

Where was he?

"Hello, transmigrator~", a voice silently spoke, but bizarrely, it did not echo in the otherwise quiet library.

Yu Yan turned and found nobody anywhere, but he did notice a quiet table a few feet away from him. He walked and looked closely at the three books placed on it. He glanced at the book covers, wary of touching and triggering something.