Chapter Twelve: You were in love

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

********** Chapter Twelve **********

The three of us sat in silence as Tyrus processed the information his mom told him. He looked between us, almost as if he didn't believe a single word of what she told him. A few times, his eyes would linger on me, analyzing me. Maybe he was looking for similarities. Or maybe to see if we were lying. 

"You have any questions, Ty?" Rylee asked, her hands find his back to comfort him. It was different seeing her in this light. I was so blinded by rage, I didn't take a moment to process she was a mother. All these years, she was being a mom to our son. She no longer matched the image I held of her as a teenager. 

Ty twisted his mouth and nodded. Rylee urged him to ask any questions about anything she mentioned. Her voice was different when she spoke to him. It was soft with a hint of authoritativeness. It was something I never heard from her and a side I didn't experience all the years I knew her. 

"How is he, my dad?" Ty asked, his voice sounded a bit disappointed. That hurt a bit. A few moments ago, he was more than excited to meet me and get my autograph. Now, he was disappointed at the idea of being my son? Rylee sent me an apologetic look before refocusing on him. 

"Well, Theo and I went to the same schools, and we became friends. Then, we realized really liked each other, so we started to date. We were so happy. Then, mommy got pregnant with you, and your dad was set to be a famous football player. So, mom decided to raise you by herself, so your dad could focus on football," she explained. Tyrus took her everyone word in. Rylee gave me a warning look. She seemed to want me to go along with the story. 

"So, are you two back together now?" Tyrus asked, looking between us. I almost choked on the air I breathed in. Back together with Rylee? I don't know if that's possible with the amount of hurt and lies between us. There was no going back. 

"No. Mommy and Daddy are happier separated," Rylee answered. Somehow, that stung. Maybe the deep innate part of me that still cared for her felt rejected by her statement. Tyrus seemed to have taken it well. He asked me a few questions before wanting to return to his Uncle Ryle, who was clearly a favorite of his. 

After he dashed back outside, it left Ryle and me alone for a few minutes. She avoided eye contact. The situation was uncomfortable for all of us. But I still had questions. I pulled out my cellphone and handed it to her. She lifted her eyebrow to question my actions. 

"Give me your number. I'm not letting you run off without my son, again" I snarked. She flinched at the sound of my tone, but she accepted the phone. She quickly placed her number in it before handing it back. I took a look at the screen. She saved herself as Tyrus' Mom. I frowned. 

"Are you and Tyrus staying here?" 

"No. We're opposite Hildred Street. We rented out a loft for the next two weeks," she answered. She close to my parents' home. But she was far away from where I was staying for the next few weeks. 

"Where exactly is home for the two of you?" I probed further. I was trying not to sound so uneasy about asking. Part of me needed closure. Maybe knowing where she was would settle that nagging feeling of curiosity I felt all this time not knowing. 

The question didn't seem to phase her as she responded quickly, "Riverview." Damn. How did I forget she had applied there? It must have slipped my mind since I didn't see it as a future for us. I thought she would have attended UW with me, so the thought of Riverview didn't cross my mind.