Chapter Twenty-Five: Tired of Crying Over Him

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

********** Chapter Twenty-Five **********

Since officially moving, I haven't had the chance to meet up with Mikah. With her being newlywed and me moving from one town to the other, we just didn't have the time to meet up. We were satisfied with quick text messages and calls. But, yesterday, before Theo and I's argument, she called asking to hang out by Dimes, Jordan's restaurant. By far, his food was top tier in the town, and everyone knew it. 

I think that's why Mikah and I spent more time eating during our lunch than actually talking. We were practically stuffed before our entrée was served. The appetizers at Dimes were more than enough to fill us. 

"Gosh, if I eat another bite, Hayden will really think I'm pregnant!" Mikah exclaimed, unbuttoning her jeans. She exhaled a breath of relief when her stomach was no longer restrained by the tight dark jeans she wore. 

"Pregnant?" I asked, quirking my eyebrows up at her. Her statement caught me so off guard, my mouth missed the straw of the drink I ordered, a vibrant sunrise. 

Mikah rolled her eyes, "Hayden is convinced I'm pregnant after our honeymoon. He wants another child."

"What do you want?" 

Mikah pushed out her bottom lip and shrugged, "Another child wouldn't hurt. Hailee's five, so I think we are prepared to have another one." I nodded. Tyrus was seven going on eight. If I wanted another child, it would be a great time to consider it. 

"Do you think you're pregnant?" I asked, staring at her stomach for a second. Mikah shrugged again before reaching out for her glass. 

"Should I join you and get pregnant? We could finally be pregnant together," I teased, winking at her. Mikah's smile dropped. From my end of the table, I could see her tense up at my words. Seeing her reaction made my heart sped up. 

"What wrong, Mikah?" I asked with concern etched into my tone. Mikah looked down at the ground, biting her lips. She twitched in what I could only describe as discomfort. Her eyes drifted from the ground and to the side, never once meeting me. I could see her swallowing hard. 

"Tell me," I stated. My body hardened at Mikah's difficulty to express whatever was bothering her. Mikah sighed. She sat up a bit, her hands clutching the arms of the chair. When her eyes finally met mines, I saw sympathy in them. The desire to withhold the information wasn't wavering as she opened her mouth to speak, but not a single word was uttered. She closed them again, opting to look at the ground again. 

"Please," I begged, my eyes closed in preparation for what it was she was going to tell me. 

She exhaled again, "Theo isn't serious about you."

"What?" I choked. Her words hit me like a cannonball launching to my core. The air felt like it was knocked out of me. My heart constricted, and I found my hand reaching up to catch whatever pieces had survived the shattering. 

"I overheard Hayden speaking to Theo about a week ago. He told Hayden he didn't mean what he said in the interview. He didn't tell you because he wanted you to move to Everton," Mikah confesses. I'm not sure what needed my attention most, my brain, my heart, or my lungs. It didn't even matter because they all seemed to be failing me at this moment.

Even with all the pain, it all made sense. The look on his face when I told him I was willing to make us work. The lack of calls and messages when Ty and I were moving from Riverview to Everton. The look of hatred that he has when he looks at me sometimes. Of course, he wasn't serious. How could I be so stupid to think that he was? It was just sex for him. It was always just sex with me. 

I waited for the tears to fall, but I couldn't feel a single drop. I guess years of dealing with Theo have left me immune to Theo's actions. Sure, I'm shocked, but part of me feels like I knew all of this already. How could I not? 

I exhaled, "Well. That's Theo for you." I chuckled at how fucked up the situation was. How was I going to deal with this now? I moved Ty here to be close to his father and our family. I could move out? Possibly, live with my mom and dad. No, Theo wouldn't allow that. Sigh. 

"Are you ok?" Mikah asked, worried about me. I'm certain the different stages of hurt were flashing across my face quicker than she could process. 

"I don't know. I'm hurt. But it's Theo. It's not the first time he's done something like this to me. I guess I'm just tired of crying over him," I admit. Mikah smiled reassuringly at me.

"I just wish the two of you would figure it out," Mikah stated. I wished we would too. But love was never simple for us. There were always hills and valleys we couldn't see on the way. But, we were too blinded by other things to notice. 

"Sorry to bother you two," a voice said, interrupting the sullen aura at our table. Both Mikah and I looked up. It was Jordan, with a wide smile. He was dressed in his chef attire. It was a much different look than the last time I saw him. He looked quite dashing in her workwear. 

"No, you're welcomed to interrupt us anytime," Mikah said flirtatiously. Jordan chuckled at her, but I gave her a look. Mikah waved my warning off before turning her attention back to Jordan. Even in marriage, nothing could stop her. Poor Hayden Parker. 

"How's the marriage life treating you, Mrs. Parker?" Jordan asked, stressing the syllables on her newly acquired surname. She rolled her eyes at Jordan and playfully hit him. 

"No fair. I'm Ms. Rucci to you, always," she pouted. Jordan just giggled at her antics. They were interacting as if they were close friends. It was interesting to see. 

"It's as domesticated as I could handle. Hayden makes it easy, though. Here's a tip for you, Jordan. Marry a woman you're willing to hand the world to, and then let her make your life a living hell. It'll be worth it. I promise you!" Mikah joked. 

Laughing hysterically, Jordan asked, "Really? How will it be worth it?"

Mikah winked, "You'll know when you find her." Jordan smiled at her before giving a quick glance. Mikah raised her eyebrows at me. 

"So, Rylee, there is a showing of Hamlet at the theatre tomorrow night. Want to see it with me? I'd love to hear your thoughts about the play from a more mature standpoint," Jordan asked, a hint of flirtation evident in his tone. I didn't miss the way his eyes took me in when he spoke. Nor did I miss the way his body leaned closer to me. 

"I'd love to," I replied, keeping eye contact with him. His eyes shone when I offered my response. He smiled sweetly at me. I could feel the warmth radiated through my body. Relax, Rylee. It was just a smile. 

"It's a date."

"It's a date," I repeated. Jordan smirked at me before leaving the table. 

Mikah cleared her throat, "You're drooling, Scott."

I laughed, "I think it's because I find the menu to be so irresistible."

Mikah smirked, "Sure. Is that what we refer to that handsome piece of a man you just finished devouring with your eyes?"

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my drink. Yes, that is exactly what I meant.