Chapter Three: Watching the Awards

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

********** Chapter Three **********

"Ty, are you done eating?" I shouted from outside of my office. We were living in a three-bedroom house I paid for with my savings and gratuity checks. It wasn't much, but it kept us grounded in ways we weren't before. I worked all throughout college to afford a one-bedroom apartment for Tyrus and I. Thankfully, Riverview University had an inclusive program for young parents. I was able to drop Tyrus off throughout the day and attend classes. I worked at the on-campus coffee shop. It was the main reason I chose Riverview. 

I remembered the day Doctor Thomas told me I was pregnant. He said it was a miracle I didn't miscarry after stunting at practices and after my accident. He told me my options, but I couldn't stomach the idea of abortion or adoption. So, I settled on telling Theo. I had it planned out perfectly. After we won the Championship, I would inform him. We would figure out college together. But then, I overheard those guys, and I remembered Ryland and India. And I couldn't stomach doing the same thing to Theo.

So, I decided to leave. I left before graduation. I chose to run away in the middle of the night. I stared back at Theo's resting face, almost unable to leave him. But, I couldn't be the reason he lost out on his dreams, nor would our son be the reason he lost out on the opportunity to be the football player he always wanted to be. 

"Mom! Can you watch the GGA's with me? Theo Bradshaw is nominated for an award!" He shouted enthusiastically. I sighed. Was it relation instinct? I know Theo's skills were impeccable, but out of all the football players in the league, why did he have to make his father his favorite?

Logging out of my computer, I got up and headed to the living room.

Tyrus was sitting on the ground. His feet under the dining table and his plate of food in front of him. He was dressed in his favorite pajamas. It was the yellow one that I purchased for him a few months back. He said he loved it because it reminded him of me. He was a charmer, that one. 

I took a seat behind him, grabbing a pillow to hold in my lap. Tyrus turned around and smiled at me. He stretched his little hands back and patted my thigh gently. It was moments like this, I got flashbacks of Theo and me together. Whenever I felt anxious, Theo would rub my hands or hold me. I guess, like father like son. 

The ceremony was filled with boring content. I kept engaged for Tyrus' sake, but I barely could keep my eyes open. Every now and then, Tyrus would shake me to alert me of Theo's appearance on the screen. I shrugged it off. It wasn't that I didn't care about him. I was too tired to even think of anything, much less be excited about seeing him. 

Finally, the award for Best Athlete arrived. The announcers directed the audience to the clip. A series of talented athletes flashed across the screen. When Theo's name came up, they showed a clip of his throw in one of his biggest games. It was a fantastic throw and an even better catch by his teammate. The nominee's clip ended, and the announcement was made. Tyrus jumped for joy, doing a quick victory dance. I laughed as he was dancing in the room as if he had won the award. 

Then, my face fell. 

The screen panned to Theo standing and kissing a woman next to him. She was gorgeous. She wore a red, tight off the shoulder dress that had a high cut split. The dress clung to her body like it was her skin.  It showed off her shape, indicating she was very shapely. Even her lips were full. She was sex personified. I barely swallowed the jealousy in my heart. It wasn't that I hadn't seen him with other women before. He was Theo Bradshaw. Of course, women desired him. It was just he never took any of them to any events or gazed at them the way he did with the vixen in red. 

"She's not pretty," Tyrus frowned at the screen. His little face was scrunched up in disappointment. 

"Actually, she is quite beautiful. You don't like her?" I asked, trying to disguise my hurt. Tyrus shook his head. He walked over to the sofa and cradled it into my arms. I held onto him tightly, kissing his forehead. I thank God for creating my own living symbol of my love for Theo. Now that he has moved on, things would be less complicated. Maybe I didn't have to tell him. We could both continue living our lives without the other. 

"Mommy?" Tyrus asked, his head nestled into my bosom. 

"Hmmm?"

"Did you love my dad?" 

I kissed his forehead again, "Very much, Ty."

Tyrus embraces me tighter, "Did he love you?"

I pause for a moment, "I think he did. No, I know he did." My response must have caught him off guard as he sits still for a moment. I hum a soft tune as I pat him gently. He was so grown yet, he was still a child. 

"Do you think he would love me?" Ty asked, breaking the warm silence in the room. 

"Without a doubt," I replied. My heart grew heavy. Did Ty want to meet his dad? If he did, could I handle going back to my past? Could I deal with the guilt of keeping Tyrus away from his dad? Or away from my family? How would I be able to face Mikah or Hayden?

"Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie?" Tyrus sits up. He stares into my eyes, that same determined look his father would give me every time he spoke. 

"If I win three games back to back, will you take me to meet my dad?" He bargained. The request took me off guard. 

I swallowed, "Where is this all coming from, Ty?"

"I just want to know who he is. I want to speak to him." Tyrus replied, his eyes full. I nodded, holding back the tears. 

"How about we meet your dad after you win three games, get an A on your science test, and apologize to all the kids you punched?" I suggested. He seemed a bit put off by the last request. His pride was something he got from his father. Without trying, they were pretentious. It was charming and annoying at the same time. After weighing his options, he agreed. 

He rested his head back on me and continued watching the remainder of the event. We missed Theo's speech, but neither one of us cared enough to rewind the program. Ty fell asleep in my arms. I envied his peace. Here I was, worried that in a few weeks, I would be facing the demons I kept locked in my closet for the past eight years.