Chapter 46: Dear Mother

Jayson's POV

It's been a month since we found out my mom had cancer. Ever since that night, Kayra went with me everyday to the hospital to visit my mother. She was getting paler by the day and I'm sure it was obvious to everyone that she wouldn't make it but no one had the courage to state it.

Perhaps,such things are better left unsaid.

School had closed for today and I was at home. In a few hours, Kayra would be here so we would go to the hospital. I decided to get my homework done before then since it was quite easy.

When I was done with it,I changed and went downstairs. Kayra arrived and was ready to leave

"Oh hey Kayra, I was just about coming to your place."

"Oh okay"

"Can you kindly grab the food basket so we go?"

"Sure"

A few minutes later,we were at the hospital.
We met my father at the out patients department. He was staring into space and looked dispirited.

Something's not right

"Dad, what's wrong?" I asked him

"Oh you're here."

"How's mom? Can we go see her?"

"Son, your mother gave up."

"What do you mean by she gave up?"

He looked at me and I could see the hurt in his eyes,it was as if he didn't want to say the words out loud because it caused him pain.

"She's dead", he finally said and a tear rolled down my cheek.

"No",I whispered. "It can't be"

She passed away this afternoon

"No,tell me it's not true", my eyes were filling fast and the tears threatened to spill any moment from now.

"Jayson, calm down"

"No I can't, she can't be dead. The doctor said she had three more months,so how come?"

"Jayson, please don't make this hard for yourself. She's gone, they've taken her body to the morgue."

It was then that the truth of his words hit me and the tears set themselves free and flowed down my face

My mother had left me

Forever

***

On the morning of 18th December,my mother was buried. The funeral service was held in her church. There was quite a number of people present,my mom's friends, family members from both sides,church members,my dad's employees,a few people from school,and even people who didn't know her but just came to sympathetize with us.

Luckily,the weather wasn't too cold today so we could have the funeral despite the fact that it was winter.

Everyone was in mourning colours, which in our case were black and white. We chose black because we were in grief and sorrow,we didn't expect her to leave us this soon but we also chose white to represent her purity,she didn't deserve the suffering she went through because of the cancer,and it succeeded in taking her away from her loved ones. We chose white to celebrate her life. Even though,she was supposed to live for a few more years,her life was well fulfilled and I know her ancestors will be proud of her for not wasting her life. The only dream she didn't see come to pass was her wish to see her grandchildren before she died.

So,if I ever have a daughter, I'm naming her after my mother.

Kayra and her parents arrived at the church and she sat beside me. I intertwined my fingers in hers. She looked at me, squeezed my hand a little and gave me a reassuring smile.