Chapter 16: Friend Boy, Miguel

After hearing about the ridiculous car chase my brother was involved in with Scott and Derek I didn't think it could get worse for Derek. Between hiding from the police, dealing with Scott, and looking for the alpha, I wasn't surprised when he was tired every night when he came over. My dad still didn't know Derek was here and we had been super careful to hide that fact. I don't even think Stiles knows he's been here since we got back from the alpha attack at the school. 

School had ended an hour ago, and practice only fifteen minutes ago. Danny was my ride home and he was still trying to get the name of the guy I was with last week. I desperately wished I could tell him but it'd be too dangerous. When we pulled up at my house I was shocked when he turned his car off.

"What are you doing?"

"I've got a project to work on with your brother."

"Oh. Well I'm sorry in advance for the lack of work you'll get done."

He laughed but got out of the car. He linked his arm with mine even though I didn't need the help. I appreciated it either way. When we got upstairs I decided to go with him since I didn't have a lot of homework.

"Danny, hey. Thanks for coming."

"We do have work to do."

"Right. Right. Hey, Alice."

I just nodded my head. I still hadn't spoken to him or Scott since the school attack. I felt Danny tense a little.

"Who's....he?"

I perked up at his pause. That meant he though whoever it was was cute.

"Who's who?"

Stiles patted something.

"This is...uh... Alice's boyfriend. Miguel."

I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"My what now?"

I felt someone grab my hand and could tell it was Derek. My shoulders relaxed and I moved closer to him. I felt him wrap his arms around my shoulders while mine went around his torso.

"Alice didn't tell me she had a boyfriend."

"I didn't know I had a boyfriend. This is my friend boy...uh... Miguel."

I tried not to snicker at the name. Derek squeezed me a little. Probably noticing that I wanted to laugh.

"Right. Friend boy. Totally. Is this the friend boy that would never go for you?"

I could hear the amusement in Danny's voice but it made me blush.

"Danny!"

"Sorry, sorry."

I pouted a little and turned away from him.

"You're a mean best friend."

"Sure am."

Stiles finally got Danny's attention and I started to zone out of their conversation. I shoved my face in Derek's chest in embarrassment.

"Does Stiles still have that weird chair in the corner?"

"Yes."

"Can we sit, please?"

He grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him. He sat and pulled me down on his lap. I leaned back into him and laid the side of my head against his.

"You and Danny seem close."

"He's my best friend. He, Lydia, and Jackson have always been there for me. Even through my accident. He like my big brother."

Derek released a little sigh of relief. I smirked a little.

"He also thinks you're attractive. His little pause always gives him away."

He chuckled some.

"I could tell. So, what's this nonsense about me never going for you?"

I groaned and buried my head in the crook of his neck.

"It's just Danny. He knows I was with someone last week and he can probably guess it was you. He thinks you like me. I've tried explaining to him that it's basically impossible and nonsense but he doesn't listen."

"You think me liking you is impossible?"

"I mean...yeah? I'm an eighteen year old, blind girl. It's kind of hard for anyone to like me. Let alone you. It's not like I can ever have a normal relationship."

"I can't have a normal relationship either. And it's not hard for someone to like you. You don't see that way guys look at you when you walk by, but I do. It makes me angry, really angry. You're incredibly sweet, attentive, caring, kind, and you put your all into everything you do. And, I know you can't see it, but you're incredibly gorgeous. It's not impossible or nonsense for me to like you, because I already do."