Chapter 12: Questions and Concerns

I woke up and still felt Derek beside me, which wasn't something I was used to.

"Der?"

"I'm awake. How are you feeling?"

"I don't know. Scared."

He squeezed me a little tighter.

"I'm gonna do everything that I can so that he won't get near you again."

I nodded my head on his chest but didn't say anything else.

"What time is it?"

"It's around 10."

I knew I was late for school but I didn't make any effort to get up.

"Your brother stopped by and said to tell you not to worry about school today. Your dad's at work and he won't be home till late because of parent teacher conferences."

"Okay. I don't have to go to those tonight. Just Stiles."

"That doesn't surprise me."

I laughed a little at his joke. Stiles could be smart when he wanted, but his hyperactiveness made it hard for him to focus.

"Do you want to talk about last night?"

I breathed out a little shakily.

"I was with Jackson and Lydia. They make me come to a lot of their movie nights even though I can't watch. I went in with Jackson to help him pick movies and it was really quiet. We couldn't hear anyone working and no one replied when Jackson called out. He went to look at something, I don't know what, when the alpha showed up. He-He was standing right behind me. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't see where to go and Jackson told me not to move, I assume he thought it was the mountain lion everyone has been talking about."

"Did he say anything to you?"

"He talked about the necklace. He-uhh said he wondered what you would think if it was covered in blood. He said something about you feeling the pain and testing it soon. I don't really know what he meant."

He tensed up a little.

"I'm not sure what he meant. I'd have to look into it."

I just nodded my head. I felt like he wasn't telling me something but I didn't want to bring it up right now.

"I should go talk to Jackson."

"What? Why?"

"I need to know what he saw last night."

"He's not going to tell you the truth."

"He won't have a choice. I'll know if he's lying."

"You can tell when people lie?"

"Hearts skip a beat when someone lies. It's one of the most obvious signs for a wolf to look for."

"That's kinda cool. What else can you do?"

"I can read emotions, more like smell emotions I guess. People give off chemo signals, so I can detect fear, sadness, pain, things like that."

"That's really cool. I guess it's pretty useless to try and hide things from you then."

He chuckled a little.

"I wouldn't recommend it."

"Do you have to go talk to him? I really don't want to be alone right now."