Chapter 104: A Missing Slayer

-chapter one-hundred-four-
____________________

"You can't anymore, Ev. I just destroyed your game."

IRUSU SIGHS, opening the rooftop door. Napakalakas ng ulan at hangin dito sa taas. Marahan niya itong isinara at dahan-dahan na nilapitan si River. His back looks sad in the pouring rain. Nakatingin ito sa malawak na siyudad. 

Irusu leans his back on the railing, facing the rooftop rather than the city. He gives River a sideway look. "You're gonna get sick."

"Bakit mo siya iniwan?" tanong ni River at humalumbaba.

She's not standing under the rain like you are, Irusu thinks. Besides, "She needs to cry. She can't if I'm with her."

River hums. Napabuntong-hininga si Irusu. Magkaparehas lang talaga 'tong magkakambal. Kahit siya ay hindi alam kung ano ang naiisip nila. Both of them are so unpredictable, and when it comes to their own emotions, they are very closed off. Well, Irusu is an exemption to that for years now.

He's witnessed a lot of their fights, but this one seems to be a lot more serious.

"You didn't have to go and destroy her game. I don't know why your hatred to the boy is so deep but-"

"I don't hate the boy." mahinang sagot ni River. "Ginawa ko nga 'yon para din makita nila uli ang isa't isa, pero⁠— pero I didn't know she'll do anything and everything to help him."

Napangiti si Irusu. They both exert huge amount of efforts for their goals. "Isn't it  beautiful to see friends helping each other?"

Mahinang tumawa si River. "It looks beautiful," biglang sumeryoso ang mukha niya. "but the consequences are ugly."

Hindi na sumagot si Irusu. Ilang minuto silang tahimik. The heavy droplets of rain and the vehicles passing by became their noise.

How fitting, River thinks, the rain comes whenever you need to hide your fears, tears and worries. Tumayo siya ng tuwid at nagsimulang maglakad papasok ng building. Irusu follows after him quietly.

It amazes him how Irusu can follow and feel people's emotions. He speaks at the right time and keeps quiet whenever you need. Alam niya palagi ang dapat gawin. River's lucky to have him.

When they entered the apartment, wala na si Reverie sa living room. Mukhang pumasok na ito sa kwarto dahil medyo maingay na doon. River stares at the ceiling, longer than necessary, before heading to the kitchen to cook.

"She's probably fixing the chip you destroyed." Irusu comments, sitting on the counter-stool.

Tumango si River. Reverie got their father's skills. Magaling ito sa pagkalikot at paggawa ng mga bagay-bagay, especially electronic devices, his father's specialty. Maliban sa ina nila na sikat sa food industry, the name Greene was also popularized because of their father. But his gift also became their ruin.

River places the plates in the tray. Itinulak niya ito papunta kay Irusu na agad kinuha. "Bilisan mo."

"Like you won't be listening outside, Kuya." biro ni Irusu.

Binatuhan ni River ng masamang tingin ang lalaki. Ngumisi lang ito at nagsimulang maglakad pataas. Every time they have a fight, Irusu becomes their middleman. That includes delivering foods and messages. Hindi kaya ni River na hindi paglutuan ang kakambal, pero ayaw din nitong makipag-usap sa kaniya, so they use Irusu as their sword and shield.