3. I hear you singing, you know

I hate this place. I hate this place. I hate this place. I kept chanting in my head as I cleaned up the umpteenth table, which was left purposely dirtier by some snob skinny girls that kept snickering all the time, glancing at me. Ugh. I so hate this place. It's not that it's bad per se, actually, it looks like a nice place, but it's frequented mostly by high school girls that believe they own the world, middle-aged perverts that ogle those girls, then very, very old people. Then add that my employer is a huge asshole with capital A, and you'll understand why do I hate this place so much.

Besides, I'm not supposed to serve tables. I'm supposed to be behind a desk writing articles about thrilling events happened in this or that far country or about whatever floats my boat. But no, I'm stuck here serving haughty toothpicks that think they're better than me only because they can eat like pigs without putting on one single pound. Well, I'm unfair. They don't eat like pigs. They don't eat at all. Those girls come here at least thrice a week and all they ever order is a very light salad they share, plus water. Wow. So riveting. No wonder they look like they've just popped out of a mode magazine. Me, I think I'd be good for the Michelin commercial, I even have the same flab.

Once I'd cleaned up the table, I went back to the counter, having heard the bell that informed me another order was ready. Of course, my co-worker was there polishing her nails, as usual, because, hey, don't you dare ask Your Highness to raise one single finger, she's so delicate! Aaaand ... she kinda fucks the boss so she's paid to do nothing while I do both my and her part. Yay. Technically, Scott would be married. But you can't really expect such a stallion as Scott to keep it in his pants, can you?

Poor Edith, she's such a nice woman, I wonder how the hell did she end up with an ass like Scott. I guess she was blinded by his good looks. I mean, now he looks like pretty much an incident between a snake and a goat, but she swears he was really handsome when he was younger. More than good looking, I think he's good with flirting, that's why his lame pickup lines always work with clients. Mandy here, my co-worker, she's been his lover for four months at least. But, she's also in bed with our cook. It doesn't concern me anyway. I just live my Hell 12 hours a day then I go back home and wash away the stench of failure, trying to convince myself I won't die in this horrible place ... I hope.

Ignoring Greg, the cook, flirting with Mandy, my ever so professional co-worker, I grabbed the order, and scuttled to serve the waiting clients, who didn't even bother to say a very simple thank you, as usual. Then again, when were New Yorkers ever kind? And who's that freak that ever thanks the waitress just because she's brought you your food still warm without even spitting in it?

Glancing around, I saw nobody needed anything and all tables were clean, so I took a moment to rest, but of course, I'd barely leaned against the other side of the counter, opposite to Mr. and Mrs. Let's Have Sex Wherever At Least Thrice Per Shift Every Day, that I already heard that booming voice: "Joanna! I don't pay you to sleep! Move that fat ass of yours!"

Please, Lord, take him. Please. Before I murder him among sauces. Or at least give me patience, because if you give me strength, I'm gonna kick that ass so much he's gonna end up on Mars. Rolling my eyes, I stood straight and turned to the sauces, pretending to be reordering them, trying to tune out Scott going to flirt with his bimbo.

Having finished with the sauces, I sighed, careful to look still active, although Scott was gone. I had only one moment of peace, because then I heard the door opening, a new client entering, so I turned around, ready to take care of yet another impolite jackass – you'd think it comes with the diner client job, being a rude jackass. However, at the sight of the newcomer, my throat dried as much as Mandy's eyes bulged out. I think I've never seen her adjust her merchandise so eagerly and sprint so fast towards a client. "Hello, there!" She greeted the guy perkily, a huge smile on her face, the kind I've only seen the rare times someone actually decent comes to eat in here.