37. When did my life become a soap opera?

"I'm here." The little girl answered when her dad called a second time.

All the while, I remained there staring, unable to think or speak. I did hear Ben gulp from his door when he saw where his daughter was. "Elle ..." he sighed.

"I just wanted to give this to Shawy before we go." The kid explained, showing him the treats she had in her hands.

I should have probably thanked her, or even only question how did she know my cat, but all I could do was stare at her. Long honey blonde hair, light brown eyes, she wore a cute white skirt and a white t-shirt that had a cute stamp on.

She looked adorable, no question. I tried to see resemblances between her and her dad, especially when he walked over to us, but all she had of him were the eyes. You really wouldn't say they're father and daughter. At the most, you'd think he's her brother, and it's not just about the age, it's simply that she doesn't look much like him. Other than the eyes, like I said. If you merely focused on those light brown eyes, then definitely, you would have no doubt who she is for him.

"I'm sorry ..." Ben murmured, flustered, hand on his daughter's shoulder. She seemed confused at his apology. I wonder if he's ever talked to her about me.

However, what caused me to jolt awake, was Jeremy poking my hips from behind. Before I could complain, he appeared next to me, smiling, Shaw clinging onto his shoulders – Reese is still on the fence about my boyfriend, but his sister likes him. "Hey, Ellie Jelly." Jeremy greeted grinning. "Ms. Shaw was wondering when you'd come back."

The child beamed at my kitten, and gladly took her in her arms. Amazingly, Shaw didn't argue, she actually welcomed the embrace, even happier when Elle opened the bag of treats for her.

Ben and I looked at the scene, baffled. We were the only two unaware of what was going on, it seemed. Jeremy winked at me, even when I sent him a dirty look, and especially when he invited Elle inside my apartment with the excuse of needing help with dinner.

"I didn't know ..." Ben cleared his throat. "She just ran off, I didn't know she would ... sorry."

Oh, Ben. I sighed, shaking my head. "It's ok."

"How uh ... how are you?"

I shrugged. "I'm okay. You?"

He shrugged as well. Then there was silence, awkward silence. Well, not total silence, because in the kitchen, Jeremy and Elle were busy half preparing dinner, half playing with Shaw. Reese just stared at the scene, unbothered at first, but when Elle went to him as well, he was happy. Cats do love kids, after all.

"They get along well." Ben mentioned, hinting at Jeremy and Elle. "I hope you don't mind."

"Why would I?"

He shrugged. "I don't know, maybe you don't like seeing my daughter with your boyfriend."

"Why wouldn't I?"

Ben sighed, raking a hand over his face. "Let's not play this game, JoJo. We both know you're way more perceptive than you let on."

Am I, though? If I'm so perceptive, why didn't I see the lies behind his cheery façade? If I'm so perceptive, why did I never even see that he felt something for me? Is he that good of an actor or am I that dumb?

"Elle! We need to go." Ben called.

"Just a minute!" She replied, still playing with my kittens.

"Not a minute, now. We need to go now." He sounded stern – fatherly stern – but also pretty frustrated.

"She can ... stay." I murmured. "My boss is coming over in about an hour, but meanwhile she can ... play with the cats."

"No."