Chapter Four: Darin's Merry Band of Travelers

"You'll see it in a little bit, but Langerich is built in the center of a crater and holds the largest mana reservoir in Amaredeia

"You'll see it in a little bit, but Langerich is built in the center of a crater and holds the largest mana reservoir in Amaredeia. It was once a powerful fortress as well, back when the three kingdoms warred against each other. That's why you saw the ruins further back. They were once the first wall you had to pass to even get near Langerich," Darin explained to Argent. Iver listened as well, interested in the city's history while Noctifer paid more attention to the road. "This is also why it has gained the nickname of 'The City of the Final Battle.' It has been the location of many legendary sieges, and some historians would tell you it was the location of Ordephus and Agkaneel's last battle, leaving behind the mana reservoir."

"It does not seem like a good place to build a fortress," Iver noted, gazing at the steep slopes around them as they descended into the city by a winding road.

"Not for normal soldiers, but for wizards, it's perfect as there's an infinite supply of mana right at the center." Darin shrugged. "There have been occasions where the opposing forces have managed to get it, and that's where the losing battles began, but more than likely you'd be blocked by a barrier before being blasted away."

"Enough of the history lesson," Noctifer cut in, stopping at a crossroad. "Where to next?"

"The apothecary?" Argent piped up, looking up at Darin who nodded in confirmation.

"It's this way," Darin said while pulling to the front, making sure Argent stayed beside him. He was less concerned about if the other two followed or not, but judging by the way people were more eager to get out of his way, he could only assume the swordsmen continued to trail behind.

From the week-long detour, Darin had learned a few more things about the two new, possibly permanent, traveling companions. For one, Iver was the more social and courteous one of the two while Noctifer rarely held back his words. The swordsmen had been traveling together for a while before they rescued Argent and him, although they wouldn't have been there at all if it weren't for them accepting a commission to find and take down a group of bandits terrorizing the area. Noctifer made sure Darin knew that, much to the wizard's annoyance. It was Iver who had to step between them when arguments became more heated until Darin had learned to ignore the needling. Most of the needling, at least. Every conversation with the tall man either sounded like a critique or an interrogation, and it made Darin restless. Darin once joked how the warrior could've been an army interrogator as an attempt to redirect the conversation—Noctifer was getting too close to information he didn't want known—only to be sent a withering glare. Darin immediately shut up after that and refused to acknowledge Noctifer for the rest of the night.

They were just about to exit the shopping district as Darin stopped at a simple door, the sign above it having the image of a mortar and pestle carved into it. The display window had only a few ingredients and potions out on its shelves, seeming to be a bit lacking in its stock. By no means did the shop look rundown, but it wasn't very eye-catching either with its white walls and dark beams. Darin stepped inside, and the rest of them followed. Noctifer nearly had to stoop to enter.